• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
you'd think they would give it everything it needs when it's built right? Not so much apparently .

Yep I hate setting new computers up but it'll pass. The updates your PC has to install are all the updates that have been rolled out since it was boxed up at the factory, and that includes hardware updates. If it's a W10 lappy it has updates every week. Thankfully W10 is probably the fastest PC OS I've ever ran so once you get it all setup you should be golden.

I built a W10 gaming PC from scratch last year so I could run some of my programs, and run RF7.5 with all settings maxed out. It doesn't even bat an eye at having to process all of that data, and it boots in seconds. It took me a few hours to get everything installed and up and running but it was so worth the hassle. Thinking about installing a SSD now and upping my 16gb of RAM to 32GB :oblong::epic:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well spent the day setting up the radio. Got the idle up working and set up as close as possible without running the motor and got the kill switch set and working and also the voltage setup on the IBec. Just have to get the voltage regulator from LHS and cleanup the wiring and make it look good. Run the engine and set up the idle.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yep I hate setting new computers up but it'll pass. The updates your PC has to install are all the updates that have been rolled out since it was boxed up at the factory, and that includes hardware updates. If it's a W10 lappy it has updates every week. Thankfully W10 is probably the fastest PC OS I've ever ran so once you get it all setup you should be golden.

I built a W10 gaming PC from scratch last year so I could run some of my programs, and run RF7.5 with all settings maxed out. It doesn't even bat an eye at having to process all of that data, and it boots in seconds. It took me a few hours to get everything installed and up and running but it was so worth the hassle. Thinking about installing a SSD now and upping my 16gb of RAM to 32GB :oblong::epic:

Well, for what it is worth.... I still hate it. A person would think I would be used to it. Built more than one pc over the years during my tour of duty with HP. But at least back then, an OS was strong and robust and didn't have to be updated weekly. For Windows 10, I can do without some of the features. But all too well do I realize certain components are necessary for the proper operation of the entire system. Thankfully, my new machine is steaming right along. Enough power to run my Real Flight without a single "bog". And love the 60" Monitor screen. Let me tell ya, I love the Real Flight and YouTube videos in "BIG" format.
Now we're up and running....it's time to post some photos. :big_yes:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
No place really to start other than just jump right in. Poor little Baby Yak-ster driver lost his head. Yeah, don't know how this happened...maybe the BE 62 was too much power or maybe the new DLE61 is total beast. All I know is "mister" man lost his head.
20180502_174256.jpg 20180502_174312.jpg 20180502_174442.jpg 20180502_174451.jpg
Heck, not to worry. New Pilot head to the rescue. I really glued his chest down well so there is no removing it short of destroying the canopy floor. So next best thing is get a new pilot and swap heads. Hmmm.... Would this be anything like the Frankenstein monster? One head fits all. LOL
20180502_174500.jpg
Unscrew one head...screw onto existing body. Oiy.... spooky. LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok, what's next? Oh yeah.... great news. Looky looky what the post man brought me yesterday.
20180501_193623.jpg 20180501_193627.jpg 20180501_193712.jpg 20180501_193825.jpg
Replacement wood for the ill fated Behemoth Yak (1). Oh yes!!! Already have my winter project lined up. And lets see.... oh yeah,
20180501_194605.jpg 20180501_194945.jpg
Replacement pre-cut covering for the Yak. I am so very thankful for Tony and Pilot RC. They are just about the best people on the planet.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well, for what it is worth.... I still hate it. A person would think I would be used to it. Built more than one pc over the years during my tour of duty with HP. But at least back then, an OS was strong and robust and didn't have to be updated weekly. For Windows 10, I can do without some of the features. But all too well do I realize certain components are necessary for the proper operation of the entire system. Thankfully, my new machine is steaming right along. Enough power to run my Real Flight without a single "bog". And love the 60" Monitor screen. Let me tell ya, I love the Real Flight and YouTube videos in "BIG" format.
Now we're up and running....it's time to post some photos. :big_yes:

Can never really win sometimes... I feel ya, I've been wanting to get a 12-14" laptop pumped up with SSD and some graphics... price starts climbing fast. Realized I like the DELL XPS 13 but... 1.8K is killing me. I used to have a 17" XPS dell that I ran realflight off of but that thing was a beast. technology has come a long ways since that thing in 2005 ha. Would like to find a solution that I can edit videos, design 3D cad, and run RF off of.... all while having a 2in1 13" screen or at least touch screen. so many laptops, so little money, so many decisions. LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Can never really win sometimes... I feel ya, I've been wanting to get a 12-14" laptop pumped up with SSD and some graphics... price starts climbing fast. Realized I like the DELL XPS 13 but... 1.8K is killing me. I used to have a 17" XPS dell that I ran realflight off of but that thing was a beast. technology has come a long ways since that thing in 2005 ha. Would like to find a solution that I can edit videos, design 3D cad, and run RF off of.... all while having a 2in1 13" screen or at least touch screen. so many laptops, so little money, so many decisions. LOL
No kidding right? I seriously looked at Dell. Wow how the tide has changed. They used to be bottom feeder pc's. Now it seems, they are the cream on top of the milk. Anyway, I wanted something with good computing power and great graphics and a powerfull enough system to run my flight sym. So, 2TB hd, double quad core processor and gobs of RAM. A video card that would make my other hand built machine cry at the thought of how fast it is. I think I lucked out when I got this one. I just get irritated when I have to wait when I want to do something. LOL

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
No kidding right? I seriously looked at Dell. Wow how the tide has changed. They used to be bottom feeder pc's. Now it seems, they are the cream on top of the milk. Anyway, I wanted something with good computing power and great graphics and a powerfull enough system to run my flight sym. So, 2TB hd, double quad core processor and gobs of RAM. A video card that would make my other hand built machine cry at the thought of how fast it is. I think I lucked out when I got this one. I just get irritated when I have to wait when I want to do something. LOL

If I were to purchase a new PC, I would assemble it. They are so much cheaper to assemble with very high quality parts in comparison. Honestly if one can put together an ARF, they can do a computer too. Just learning the lingo is the hardest part. A company I used to work for started to build their own computers within their IT department, saved a lot of money, plus when they had issues they could fix them in house. made a lot of sense to me.