• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes, saw the 215, it's really a military drone engine that can work in model airplanes too. It weighs over 10lb but is designed to run at WOT for 10,000 hours continuously, if they can shave off 2lb then it'd be a killer engine especially with 20hp at the tap. No word of a 135, they do have 2 servo models available but word is they will be limited production runs.
Thanks for that sounds interesting but like you said on the heavy side sure racing guys will like it. Pity there was nothing on 135 because I will be buying 120 cc engine before spring just have to make up my mind.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thanks for that sounds interesting but like you said on the heavy side sure racing guys will like it. Pity there was nothing on 135 because I will be buying 120 cc engine before spring just have to make up my mind.

Don't settle for anything less than the DA120. If you need more power in your 35% airplane then the only conclusion I see is you built your airplane too heavy :eek::confused::oblong::p My 120 on J&A mufflers rips my Falcon 28x9.5 on the uplines and yanks my Laser around like it's not even there.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got the gear welded and going to prep it for grey primer coat. Will fill in the strut open area with 3/16" balsa sheeting and cover with coverall and dope then paint to match the 1:4 scale sig clipped wing cub that @acerc has generously donated to my recycle bin :).

0108181924-00.jpg
0108181924-01.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Sent you a message.

4653eb1ef1c169682f2f5979ffbc4260.jpg

1/6 scale sig clipped cub. Hasn’t flown in... almost ten years. She’s a beat up hangar queen, my only dope and fabric model and my first kit rc plane ever almost 15 years old lol. And no, never flown it on the skis, I would imagine it would swan dive. Plane did fly wonderfully though in its glory days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
bd73560e3fadba10490cee71194a146a.jpg
6132b26cf28c790b4035b8bfe62ff56e.jpg
fcb5e186bf8e8491d1b635adcdc81a50.jpg

Worked on the cowling vents. Going to block the tunnel. I like making a design.... this one looks like one of those Hawaiian(?) warrior faces (two eyes with its tongue sticking out, maybe a couple arms if I may). Gives he plane character that’s for sure. Added craft foam baffles, blocked the front inlets as best I could and left access to my manual choke arm. Red sharpie cleaned up the lines a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Don't settle for anything less than the DA120. If you need more power in your 35% airplane then the only conclusion I see is you built your airplane too heavy :eek::confused::oblong::p My 120 on J&A mufflers rips my Falcon 28x9.5 on the uplines and yanks my Laser around like it's not even there.
You are correct I will buy a DA120 and J&A mufflers hoe sells the J&A mufflers. Only thing about DA120 I have heard that there are different carburetors for the engine but nobody seems to know or elaborate on it. Thanks for the help.
The plane will not be heavy I hope to come in at 26 lbs it is going in to a ViperST.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got the gear welded and going to prep it for grey primer coat. Will fill in the strut open area with 3/16" balsa sheeting and cover with coverall and dope then paint to match the 1:4 scale sig clipped wing cub that @acerc has generously donated to my recycle bin :).

View attachment 101200 View attachment 101201
Nice welding job looks nice and clean. That is still one piece of equipment I need to buy, but not sure what to get it must also be able to do aluminum.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You are correct I will buy a DA120 and J&A mufflers hoe sells the J&A mufflers. Only thing about DA120 I have heard that there are different carburetors for the engine but nobody seems to know or elaborate on it. Thanks for the help.
The plane will not be heavy I hope to come in at 26 lbs it is going in to a ViperST.

There's 2 carbs they have put on the DA120- the vast majority of us just have the stock carburetor because it works fine. Only in certain rare cases do they swap out the carb for a different model, wouldn't worry about it. You can get the J&A from Extreme Flight:

http://extremeflightrc.com/JA-Engineering-DA-120-Slick-Mufflers_p_2145.html

Good for a few hundred RPM increase over the stock muffs.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Nice welding job looks nice and clean. That is still one piece of equipment I need to buy, but not sure what to get it must also be able to do aluminum.

A small MIG welder will do both steel and aluminum. Just need the correct welding wire and bottled gas for the metal being welded. I just go to my buddies shop for work like that. Good to have friends with nice shop toys :yesss:.