• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
While charging flight packs this evening for tomorrow's outing with the little guys, I did some repairs on the Edge. I had forgotten I wiped out the right rudder servo in the incident at Tri-Cities. Gear train is all ok, but bent the center cluster pin and knocked the alignment holes out in the upper and center 7954 cases. Much thanks and appreciation to @Xpress for getting me taken care of on the much needed parts. Saved me from having to buy a new 75 dollar servo. The 7954 is rebuilt, installed and tested. Whisper quiet and perfectly precise. Thank you so much Tanner. I also failed to mention I fubared the 28x10 Falcon and the spinner. So I guess I need to get those replaced. Dang airplanes are killing my pocket book. I'm starting to think I need to get a girlfriend. They are both money pits. Lol. Na... I'm good with the planes.

In the next couple of months, Baby (260) will be decomishened. She flew her final flight under my command at Tri-Cities. 152 flights and still solid. Course she had a previous 250ish when I got her. Really nothing wrong with her. She's still silky smooth and rock solid. I just feel it's time to slap that beast 157cs in a spanking new plane. I really don't know if these planes have a number or an expiration date. Some believe in such things. I have enjoyed five fun and wonderful years with her. However, Baby will never see it if they do. I prefer to set her aside on a good note, rather than a sudden demolishing impact and certain demise with the gravity sucking gremlins. What is the replacement airframe?? Well, let's just say it has been selected and will be coming in on the 2nd week of October container from across the sea. I plan to do a "260 Decomishen and Build" thread on the new 157 powered flying hooptie. Stay tuned, it should be fun.

Oh and no @HRRC Flyer, Baby is not up for grabs. Lol. I believe she will have a final position, assembled and hanging above my head from the ceiling in the plane room.

Last edited:

pawnshopmike

Staff member

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I spent the day painting, and this evening finishing up my Freewing Mig 21 so I can maiden it tomorrow.

The paint is Latex house paint thinned with windshield washer fluid. It worked out pretty good for a first try. I still have some paint details to add, but it's good enough for now.

View attachment 98914 View attachment 98915 View attachment 98916 View attachment 98917 View attachment 98918 View attachment 98919
That is beautiful it looks great. Man household paint can look good. Why did you use windshield washer fluid.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got the engine mounted this evening. Looks like I will have to relieve both sides of the cowl for plug caps. No problem. U-trim makes any "cowl hole" look good. I will be using 1 and 1/8th inch stand offs which will give a nice 1/16th inch clearance on the spinner back plate.

0917172217-00.jpg 0917172218-00.jpg 0917172215-00.jpg 0917172213-00.jpg

Since the rudder was installed I used my trade mark "precision" engine alignment tool....0917172301-00.jpg

not ruthless

New to GSN!
What is U-trim and where can you find it? Thanks!

Got the engine mounted this evening. Looks like I will have to relieve both sides of the cowl for plug caps. No problem. U-trim makes any "cowl hole" look good. I will be using 1 and 1/8th inch stand offs which will give a nice 1/16th inch clearance on the spinner back plate.