• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Tonight I matched the aileron servos in the Sukhoi using the Powerbox. It was pretty easy, and they really did need it. I used my amp meter and before I started one wing was drawing over 2 amps. After I was finished they were all .08 or less. You can only match them at center and full deflection, but it's better than nothing and way better than it was.

I also wired the gyro and got it setup.

Putting the wings and stabs on it in my family room was a treat. It's pretty tight.:oblong:

20170804_204043_resized.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I like how you decorated the family room in "Aero-Monolith":way_to_go: . Reminds me of another family room that was done in "Aero-Behemoth":D. For myself a modest "Modern-Aero" works just fine :).

I did get my Extra fitted with a new RcExcel A-02 6-12 volt ignition and rebuilt the Walbro WT 908 carb. And because of this I am now a believer:big_yes: that "Black Holes" can exist ANYWHERE!! Ya see......that tiny little spring, you all know wich one, took a trip to another dimension for about 2 hours:eek:. Yup! Vanished. Had to go calm myself and get on my knees and pray:cryin:. Well it returned unharmed and found its way back home thank goodness:attaboy:. Just to check things out I flipped the engine on choke four times and fuel was knocking on that springs door :). Guess I will have that engine "Running Scared" now :big-grin:.

0805171232-00.jpg
0805171233-00.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Before the Sukhoi left tonight, Tony and I put the cowl and the baffling back on and assembled it in my garage and tested everything again. It's ready to fly, but it's going to rain all day tomorrow. Hopefully it will fly next Sunday. He's saying I'm doing the test flight, I guess we'll see when the time comes.
20170805_191743_resized.jpg
20170805_195206_resized.jpg
20170805_202616_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I finished up with the Sukhoi today. Tony, the owner is coming to get it later if it stops raining.

The wiring for the gyro is about as neat as I can make it. There is so many wires, and only so many places to go with them.

View attachment 98199 View attachment 98200

Question on the Cortex. It has only 5 outputs. This large plane I think has more than 5 servos that need to be controlled, how did you connect all the servos. Thanks.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Question on the Cortex. It has only 5 outputs. This large plane I think has more than 5 servos that need to be controlled, how did you connect all the servos. Thanks.
This airplane uses two aileron servos in each wing, one elevator servo in each side and two rudder servos. The PowerBox has servo matching, so going into it for flight surface controls you only have right and left aileron, right and left elevator and rudder. The PowerBox splits each aileron and the rudder input into matchable outputs. So the five in and outs on the Cortex are all you need.

The matching on the PowerBox is easy to use, it has a feature that locks the stick input for you to max throw in either direction so you have both hands free to push buttons and get the travel of the slave servo to where you can slide the ball link bolt in freely. I used an amp meter to fine tune it after that.