• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Ultimate EDF jet | 1.9M Sebart Avanti XS on 14S

dominicm

70cc twin V2
Turbine engine is still the better performance option for large jets such as the Avanti XS. The thrust is higher and the landing weight lower. So why did I choose to convert this large RC jet to EDF? Basically because there are fewer and fewer places to fly turbine powered aircraft, especially in my part of the world, due to the perceived noise and fire hazards.

This being the first flight I kept to simple circuits of the flying field using full throttle for the passes down the runway and backing off to half throttle for the downwind leg. Fairly windy day but it was down the strip and no doubt that assisted the early take off. Despite that I held in full elevator until the jet got airborne and then decreased to prevent stall. First landing attempt was aborted due to overshooting but the second was spot on after taking a slightly longer approach and staying low so as not to pick up any speed. After landing the pack voltages were at 44% usable capacity remaining so a 5.5 to 6 minute flight time would be achievable. All in all a successful maiden flight on 14S12000 lipo. We are going to be putting together a Lion pack that will have much higher capacity and give around 9 minute flights.

JET: 1.9 M Sebart Avanti XS
FAN/MOTOR: Schubeler DS-86-AXI HDS SFF Tenshock X-501 5,5Y 810kV
SPEED CONTROLLER: YGE 205HVT BEC 12A/30A ESC
14S 12000 Mah LIPO

MAX PERFORMANCE
Current: 140 A
Thrust: 95 N
Exhaust speed: 95 M/S