• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Snap Turn

gyro

GSN Contributor
[H=1]Description of the maneuver[/H]
content
[H=2]Level of difficulty[/H]
content
[H=1]Performing the Maneuver[/H]
content
[H=2]Entering from ______[/H]
content
[H=2]Entering from ______[/H]
content
[H=2]Steering[/H]
content
[H=2]Exiting[/H]
content
[H=1]Common mistakes[/H]
content
[H=1]Tips[/H]
content
[H=1]Acknowledgements/References[/H]
content
[H=1]External Links[/H]
www.3drcforums.com

gyro

GSN Contributor
I believe they are different. This is a move that Cody will be instructing on I think.

wedoitall

cool. very interested, especially anything that has to do with Cody.

has problems with the tail whip on the turnarounds thats on wamsys video.

jmart95

70cc twin V2
^ that is correct. A snap turn is just an exaggerated snap with a rapid 90 or 180 degree heading change, and the airplane goes from upright to inverted, or inverted to upright.
Inputs

upright left:
simultaneous left rudder, up elevator, and left aileron. Once inverted, right rudder is kicked in to get a true 90 or 180 degree heading change.

upright right:
simultaneous right rudder, up elevator, and right rudder. Once inverted, left rudder is kicked in.

I don't normally do negative snap turns(flying 48 inchers, and I just don't trust them enough to hang in and I can't afford to crash) but it should just be sticks in or sticks out(top corners), then reverse the elevator once upright.

Cody Wojcik did an awesome video with stick movements on the snap turns

[MENTION=2294]jmart95[/MENTION] your 48 will be awesome for outside snaps. I like to snap with high rate aileron and mid or low elevator. That helps a lot to keep from getting to deep in the snap. Also, I experiment with taking out elevator input toward the end of the snap. I gleaned this from Jesky's all things slick video.
I like to practice outside snap turns going from inverted flight into upright flight, eg R rudder L Ail for a left outside snap, finished with L rudder.
That being said. My only half decent snap turn is canopy up into a positive Left. They're awesome when initiated down wind.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmart95

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=2294]jmart95[/MENTION] your 48 will be awesome for outside snaps. I like to snap with high rate aileron and mid or low elevator. That helps a lot to keep from getting to deep in the snap. Also, I experiment with taking out elevator input toward the end of the snap. I gleaned this from Jesky's all things slick video.
I like to practice outside snap turns going from inverted flight into upright flight, eg R rudder L Ail for a left outside snap, finished with L rudder.
That being said. My only half decent snap turn is canopy up into a positive Left. They're awesome when initiated down wind.
I say 48's, but right now its just the super vyper, and you need to slow it down a little and whip it around or else it goes about 70 degrees rather than 90, so if you're not on top of it you can snap it out on the exit. I can do upright and inverted in both directions on any other 3dhs plane, and as I get my thumbs acclimated to the vyper, I'm getting more comfortable doing them, but being a hybrid design, the compromise means it's just a little more forced to do it well.