• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Knife Edge Spin

gyro

GSN Contributor
[H=1]Description of the maneuver[/H]
A Knife Edge spin is a move where the wings are perpendicular to the ground and the air-frame is rotating around them. It is a major wow-factor move that is pretty easy to learn and perform. It is a great trick to add to your repertoire early on in your 3d flying career and enjoy over and over. It never really gets old.
[H=2]Level of difficulty[/H]
Easy
[H=1]Performing the Maneuver[/H]
At the top of an up-line push, pull, hammerhead, or otherwise enter a vertical dive. Add full down elevator, some throttle, and left rudder. At this point every plane will be different. You may have to add a little left or right aileron to get a nice spin. You will also have to experiment a little with the amount of rudder you hold as it can over-power the spin. Different models will require varying levels of inputs on aileron and rudder but you can count on always needing full down elevator and as much throttle as you dare.

[H=2]Exiting[/H]
Exiting the maneuver can be done in several ways. As you first begin to learn this move it is recommended that you learn to exit while your model is still fairly high.

There are tons of ways to exit this maneuver so here are some ideas starting from simplest and ranging to more complex.

Simply chop the throttle and center the sticks. The spin will stop and you can correct in a safe way and fly out. This is recommended for pilots who are just beginning to enter the world of 3d flying.

Reverse inputs on aileron and rudder to enter an inverted harrier.

Exit by entering into another down-line maneuver or roll out into harrier rolls.
[H=1]Common mistakes[/H]
The most common mistakes are to give too much of some input that makes the spin irregular or fail completely. If you are experiencing this don't give up! It is normal to need some experimenting to find the sweet spots on your sticks to maintain a knife edge spin on each model. Experiment and collaborate with other pilots flying the same model.

Each airplane enters and stays in the Knife Edge spin differently. Some need more or less aileron to ender, and some need different levels of throttle to maintain. Explore the needs of each model, they usually are different.

The biggest mistake you can make is recovering too low, or into the ground.
[H=1]Tips[/H]
[video=youtube;acisx5NOAv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acisx5NOAv4&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]
[H=1]Acknowledgements/References[/H]
content
[H=1]External Links[/H]
www.3drcforums.com

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I downloaded it from the swap pages if I'm not mistaken. It seems like it was a variant by tominator.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Great info, been working on my skills with this as the knowledge benchmark.

Side note:

As I finally began to find the "sweet spot" on my practice profile foamie, I learned that the traditional "thru hole" battery hold down method is insufficent.

A loud "thwok" sound was my battery hitting the prop - fortunately it stayed plugged in and the battery survived the abuse. Safe landing.

Nothing more velcro won't fix - but to say I was surprised is an understatement.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great info, been working on my skills with this as the knowledge benchmark.

Side note:

As I finally began to find the "sweet spot" on my practice profile foamie, I learned that the traditional "thru hole" battery hold down method is insufficent.

A loud "thwok" sound was my battery hitting the prop - fortunately it stayed plugged in and the battery survived the abuse. Safe landing.

Nothing more velcro won't fix - but to say I was surprised is an understatement.

KE spins are one of my fav tricks, and notorious battery ejector!

One trick I have been working on is a combo move where you start with a knife edge loop, at the top of the loop you happen to be in the perfect entry for a knife edge spin, then exit with blender inputs at the point you entered the maneuver.