• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

BalsaDust

bigblueswope;11355 wrote: I've been told the Value Hobby foamies are just as good and way cheaper. The buddy who recommended the VH foamie, [MENTION=469]Yak Attack[/MENTION], is an amazing pilot so I'm inclined to believe him, but I want to try his VH foamie before I pull the trigger.

I have heard the same about the valuehobbies foamys. for $25 they are hard to beat.

Mikeq

150cc
bigblueswope;11404 wrote: For $74 it can't hurt to give it a try.

I'll be testing both a CY and a VH knock off tomorrow night. I'll report back what I find.

After filling my shopping cart I realized I got pretty much everything I needed for not much more than the CY airframe cost...I cant imagine any major difference in the two airframes other than the price...so if someone can... please enlighten me...

Now Bigblueswope be honest in your critique after you fly both even if the CY seems to fly better tell us if you think it's worth the difference in price...

Mikeq;11415 wrote: After filling my shopping cart I realized I got pretty much everything I needed for not much more than the CY airframe cost...I cant imagine any major difference in the two airframes other than the price...so if someone can... please enlighten me...

Now Bigblueswope be honest in your critique after you fly both even if the CY seems to fly better tell us if you think it's worth the difference in price...

Will do!

mac26r

50cc
Got done working early today so I thought I'd go out to our field and fly a little. The weather was beautiful, 78 degrees, light wind and high wispy clouds, perfect! I arrived at the field and there where two older guys flying little glow planes which they promptly packed up when I pulled my 50cc su-26 out of the trailer, that's ok, the bigger planes scare some guys off once in a while. I needed to charge the batteries in that plane so I pulled out my Crack Laser and Hyperbipe and bang the sticks. I love the crack laser and really think it's the ultimate trainer for flying low and slow. The Hyperbipe is a blast also it just doesn't slow down like those crack planes! I played with those planes for an hour or so, an older guy shows up and flies his T-28 a couple times and we talk. His eyes aren't what they used to be and he has difficulty seeing the planes sometimes but still loves the hobby after more than 40years. We talk about the old days with push button transmitters and being an ace who could get the plane up around and down without destroying it. I'm very new to the hobby (less than a year) and I realize how great we have it these days. By now the 50 is all set to go so I fill her up and point her at the sky. That sky is all mine so I practice some stall turns, flat spins, upright and inverted ( kind of...), I still can't seem to figure out how to get that plane to KE spin. Basically having a blast just fueling and flying over and over, low pass, inverted pass and of course the HOLY CRAP I almost lost it pass. My last flight I decide to work on just landings, our field is 400' with hedges on either end so some times it feels a little tight. After the third or fourth touch and go I realize I'm am having an absolute blast. I must have practiced 30 or 40 different landings from different angles, speeds, altitudes. High fast landings, low slow turning landings onto one wheel, straight in tying to get the glide slope just right. Just touch the ground softly, short roll then around and around, over and over. I finally landed for the day and taxied back to the pits with a huge smile on my face. It was the best day/time I've had in my short span with the bigger planes ( around two months). I've got a loooonnngg way to go but I have definitely found my thing just like many of you have and I look forward to sharing the great times with as many of you as I can in the future. This isn't a hobby. It's an addiction, a really great addiction and I'm glad I caught it!

mac26r;11417 wrote: Got done working early today so I thought I'd go out to our field and fly a little. The weather was beautiful, 78 degrees, light wind and high wispy clouds, perfect! I arrived at the field and there where two older guys flying little glow planes which they promptly packed up when I pulled my 50cc su-26 out of the trailer, that's ok, the bigger planes scare some guys off once in a while. I needed to charge the batteries in that plane so I pulled out my Crack Laser and Hyperbipe and bang the sticks. I love the crack laser and really think it's the ultimate trainer for flying low and slow. The Hyperbipe is a blast also it just doesn't slow down like those crack planes! I played with those planes for an hour or so, an older guy shows up and flies his T-28 a couple times and we talk. His eyes aren't what they used to be and he has difficulty seeing the planes sometimes but still loves the hobby after more than 40years. We talk about the old days with push button transmitters and being an ace who could get the plane up around and down without destroying it. I'm very new to the hobby (less than a year) and I realize how great we have it these days. By now the 50 is all set to go so I fill her up and point her at the sky. That sky is all mine so I practice some stall turns, flat spins, upright and inverted ( kind of...), I still can't seem to figure out how to get that plane to KE spin. Basically having a blast just fueling and flying over and over, low pass, inverted pass and of course the HOLY CRAP I almost lost it pass. My last flight I decide to work on just landings, our field is 400' with hedges on either end so some times it feels a little tight. After the third or fourth touch and go I realize I'm am having an absolute blast. I must have practiced 30 or 40 different landings from different angles, speeds, altitudes. High fast landings, low slow turning landings onto one wheel, straight in tying to get the glide slope just right. Just touch the ground softly, short roll then around and around, over and over. I finally landed for the day and taxied back to the pits with a huge smile on my face. It was the best day/time I've had in my short span with the bigger planes ( around two months). I've got a loooonnngg way to go but I have definitely found my thing just like many of you have and I look forward to sharing the great times with as many of you as I can in the future. This isn't a hobby. It's an addiction, a really great addiction and I'm glad I caught it!

That my friend is why we do it! It's been a while since I've gotten in a groove with landing over and over, but when you do, nothing is more satisfying than kissing the ground with the mains. I too am new to the hobby, just passed 2 years Aug 3rd.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Everything you describe is good. Take that and add some outstanding guys to fly with that are highly skilled and willing to help you get better and never make you feel like you don't belong flying with them and you have it all.

balsa

50cc
RJ 706;11732 wrote: Everything you describe is good. Take that and add some outstanding guys to fly with that are highly skilled and willing to help you get better and never make you feel like you don't belong flying with them and you have it all.

totally agree

Yakman

70cc twin V2
I went to the Black Hills Huckfest last weekend and had Terryscustom, Thelaw, Greenmyst and Hitchiker Mike as neighbors there. I thought it was great.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
going for a haircut and a maiden for my hobbyking HyperBipe. might fly my old Swift foamie too.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Bartman;12993 wrote: going for a haircut and a maiden for my hobbyking HyperBipe. might fly my old Swift foamie too.

Let me know how that Hyperbipe flies, it's got my curiosity..