• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m Going/Went Flying Thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been flying the snot out of the Flitz2. It's just super convenient to fly for me. Today I had a neat experience at the turf field after work, the wind was calm, but then it was switching back and forth. I looked around and felt where the breeze was going and launched high (well for me). After a few passes I felt where I was in lift and started my circling. I flew up for a few minutes and my eyes were straining to see in the clouds, so I dove, did some aerobatics and hit a low level bubble to hoist me back to the huge thermal I was in and after seven minutes I came back down...
Apparently my aerobatics attracted some bald eagles... A LOT OF BALD EAGLES.... did I say A LOT!!!?!???! after my second flight the eagles were coming in from all directions to play in the thermal that I had found.
I was pushed to the opposite side of the field due to some soccer players and eventually had to get going, but before I left I counted how many were where I had been circling. There were 37 bald eagles circling in the thermal I found.... and more on the way... with those included, and four in a bubble nearby as well I counted 48. Crazy cool. The Eagles never showed any interest in the glider - other than it told them where to go. They were 100 to maybe 2,000ft high in a huge cyclone.

Towards the end I could feel a tiny pull towards the thermal, even the bubbles I was in were going there.
Need to start playing with flight modes to become more efficient as the eagles were out flying me! the lift did not feel very quick, just consistent.
Sorry for the novel, but just too neat.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I've been flying the snot out of the Flitz2. It's just super convenient to fly for me. Today I had a neat experience at the turf field after work, the wind was calm, but then it was switching back and forth. I looked around and felt where the breeze was going and launched high (well for me). After a few passes I felt where I was in lift and started my circling. I flew up for a few minutes and my eyes were straining to see in the clouds, so I dove, did some aerobatics and hit a low level bubble to hoist me back to the huge thermal I was in and after seven minutes I came back down...
Apparently my aerobatics attracted some bald eagles... A LOT OF BALD EAGLES.... did I say A LOT!!!?!???! after my second flight the eagles were coming in from all directions to play in the thermal that I had found.
I was pushed to the opposite side of the field due to some soccer players and eventually had to get going, but before I left I counted how many were where I had been circling. There were 37 bald eagles circling in the thermal I found.... and more on the way... with those included, and four in a bubble nearby as well I counted 48. Crazy cool. The Eagles never showed any interest in the glider - other than it told them where to go. They were 100 to maybe 2,000ft high in a huge cyclone.

Towards the end I could feel a tiny pull towards the thermal, even the bubbles I was in were going there.
Need to start playing with flight modes to become more efficient as the eagles were out flying me! the lift did not feel very quick, just consistent.
Sorry for the novel, but just too neat.

Holy smokes that’s insane. Here in mid Missouri we get excited when we see one or two eagles. I can’t imagine seeing 48 of them in one place. Unreal.

TonyHallo

150cc
Holy smokes that’s insane. Here in mid Missouri we get excited when we see one or two eagles. I can’t imagine seeing 48 of them in one place. Unreal.

Same here in Pennsylvania, there's a nest along the Allegheny River about 4 miles south of me, there are always bird watchers there.
My neighbor owned the property where the eagle decided to built it's nest, it was land locked since the late 60's due to construction of a new highway, he payed the tax for 50 years. He gave the property to his grandson before he pasted, after the nest was built, the Audubon bought the property for $22,000.00!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Eagles here are just glorified vultures LOL! I had another fun experience where a few eagles were circling above me so I launched up to them, a few more eagles joined in and I was trying my best to avoid hitting them. There were eight eagles plus me all going up in the thermal. At one point my flying buddy said "that one has it's talons out coming toward you" "oh!" so I took the camber out of the wing and did a couple quick circles and we were all still friends circling around. I wonder just how close I was... also... I wonder how I can get a tiny 4k camera on this glider to capture it... it's hard when the glider only weighs 0.505lbs!

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Continuing to cheat, Antonio dialing in my Yak now after he finished with my Sukhoi. It is flawless, rock solid spins, knife edge, snaps, etc. Hi/ low idle switch, expo, rates, everything perfect. What a difference a well adjusted plane is.

IMG-5739.jpg

WMcNabb

150cc
Haven’t flown in a long while but got out today.
Took the small one, because I only had the pickup, since my bride took the Yukon.
This was purchased new as a bind and fly, but I recently cleared all the programming in the receiver and configured it from scratch.
Flies much better now. Didn’t fly bad before, just dialed in to my preference.
Learned a lot about the AS3X receiver capabilities. Pretty cool unit.

881A3EA5-E10B-4EB7-BF68-C3CAAFE7EBAE.jpeg

Attachments

• E99C6ACE-1369-4FB3-97A9-E5E4B94B3C08.jpeg
    E99C6ACE-1369-4FB3-97A9-E5E4B94B3C08.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 149