• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m Going/Went Flying Thread

Wild man

70cc twin V2
Previous photo's taken yesterday After flying. These two taken today after flying this morning I got in a big hurry, and left my Wallet phone and Go-Pro Camera's at home. Didn't fly long anyway temperature only 20 degrees and a light 8 mph wind I my fingers got cold very fast. LOL!!!! No one else wanted to meet me to fly in the snow and cold. Like AKnick states "It's tougher in Alaska". Well you can say the same thing about Western SD LOL!!!! but not as long cold spells.I have many hours on this Plane. I never take the floats off. This one is my go to snow and water OP's plane, Fly it off snow in the winter and the lakes in the Spring, Summer, and Fall
s2.jpg S1.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
20 degrees? Isn't that somewhere on a thermometer? Never have to look that far down so not sure. 75 here today!

Wild man

70cc twin V2
My Bother and I are going out in the morning. Weather man says winds 5 to 10 and a warm 29 degrees some what warmer than today. I am in the process of finishing a paint job on the ski's for my E-1500 Twin cargo plane. We didn't get as much snow as they thought only about 3". I would love that nice weather you have

Wild man

70cc twin V2
Today late morning was nice but cold with a nice 4 to 5 mph quartering cross wind. The ski's did not hold up they are to week for spotty wet grass and light snow. They worked OK on hard packed snow and clear ice at the lake. the front ski mounts are to week and spread apart and came off the axle shafts dug in and went under the plane on landing. IMHO they are not worth putting on the Plane. Flying the E-1500 with the floats on, off light or deep soft snow, even wet grass is the only way to go.
snowop.jpg snowop2.JPG

Last edited:

Wild man

70cc twin V2
Here is the video I took of the E-1500. Landing was less then perfect but the ski's do not work in these conditions and IMHO are not worth using they are to week, after inspecting what happened I can see what made them fail. There is not enough length for the front ski mounts.The front axle length should be longer to put a wheel collar to keep the mount from spreading and coming off.

Wild man

70cc twin V2
The ski's for the E-1500 Twin are to small and week for this size Plane. I took the ski's off, threw them in the garbage and put the floats back on. weather permitting going back out in the morning and fly it off the same place.
backon.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
They seem more like skids, than skis.
Have agree with you @AKNick they do look small. Many years back I did as much flying in the winter as I do in the summer. Built many skies trying to find something that worked. The length in front of the pivot point and the area for fluffy snow was the most difficult to figure out.

Wild man

70cc twin V2
AKNick You are right on !! They are more like a small skid then a ski. Took the ski's off threw them in the garbage and put the old set of floats back on last night. Went out this morning temp 20 degrees 8 mph quartering cross wind and slightly overcast. same field as yesterday morning. Had a good time flew 4 times did touch and goes, got cold and went home to warm up. Made some Hot chocolate.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
AKNick You are right on !! They are more like a small skid then a ski. Took the ski's off threw them in the garbage and put the old set of floats back on last night. Went out this morning temp 20 degrees 8 mph quartering cross wind and slightly overcast. same field as yesterday morning. Had a good time flew 4 times did touch and goes, got cold and went home to warm up. Made some Hot chocolate.
Much better!