• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Just got back from the field. Normally I would whine about winds gusting 16-18, but when the "feels like" temperature is over 100 the wind is a plus.

The field was a ghost town. Everyone either scared of the heat, or doing father's day stuff. Landing a floaty airplane in a gusty constantly changing direction wind sure keeps you on your toes.:eek:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It's 6:45 am and it's almost 80 already on it's way to 98, and it's not even summer!

The 105" Hangar 9 Extra 300X is in the truck and ready to go.......... man I'm stupid.

Got up early just like you but to beat the wind, The wind is suppose to be up to 30mph by noon so had to get all my flying in before noon. And I did had a good time till 11am and then it ready started to blow. And is was also starting get quite hot by noon it was 85F but it was ok.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just got back from the field. Normally I would whine about winds gusting 16-18, but when the "feels like" temperature is over 100 the wind is a plus.

The field was a ghost town. Everyone either scared of the heat, or doing father's day stuff. Landing a floaty airplane in a gusty constantly changing direction wind sure keeps you on your toes.:eek:

Fixin to haul it to a runway. I purposely waited till early evening. Winds die down and the heat is no longer directly over head. Really humid though and that is just unpleasant any time of the day :ugh:.

0617181540-00.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Church, Father’s Day lunch at BWW, then I’m going flying! Quads and the Flex Cap maiden!

Still waiting for the motor to come back on mine :(. Was hoping to get some of that "Flexercise" with it this weekend but as my luck would have it.........sitting ever so anxiously waiting :blank:.

0617181541-00.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I am ashamed to admit but i finally put a plane in the air this year. Our 350 member club lost its lease last year and I joined a newer smaller club this year. I haven't made it up there until today due to my son's busy baseball schedule. Anyway, a much smaller field and still rough around the edges but it's a field. Was worried about landing a 100cc plane but it just made me use the rudder a bit.

20180617_132539.jpg

20180617_143019.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just finished unloading and now relaxing in the cool air conditioning :too-cool:. Only flew two very short flights but did get the chance to see how the DL50 is coming along. Turning 6850 static in this hot muck soup! The XOAR 23x8 sword was ripping on the ground! Low end was pretty rich so time to lean it and conclude the break in. I should have no problem getting 7-7.2K once the cooler weather returns:mario-banana:.

My buddies DLE 60 twin was doing 6600 static with the same size prop.

0617181522-00.jpg
0617181727-00.jpg

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
The Cap flew extremely well with the winds. I left the gyro in its standard settings and it seemed to be fine with the gains even with high speed and high rates. I do have to change the elevator linkage to give it some down elevator.

It does pretty much all maneuvers that I do normally very well! It landed nicely even with the strong, gusty winds. Pop tops were awesome. Knife edge was amazing. It was tumbling with no issues. Blenders were cool. It doesn’t roll as fast as I was expecting it to. I am very excited to see this thing in the night or with somewhat normal conditions:) I will post pictures of that when it happens (tomorrow, probably).