• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Blender

njswede

150cc
Description of the maneuver

The Blender is a relatively simple maneuver that can add a tremendous amount of excitement to a routine if performed right. A blender is performed by putting the plane in a vertical dive, applying aileron to induce a fast roll, then adding opposite rudder to create a snap roll and finally putting the plane in a inverted flat spin.

Level of difficulty

Easy-Medium
Performing the Maneuver

The maneuver can be initiated with a left or right roll. In this example, we will start with a right roll. If you start with a left roll, the rudder and aileron inputs will be reversed.

1. Put the plane into a vertical dive.
  2. Apply full or almost full right aileron and let the plane pick up some roll speed. At the same time, reduce throttle to low or zero.
  3. Apply full left rudder and full down elevator. The plane should enter into a violent snap roll.
  4. Reduce aileron input to zero and give a bump of left aileron to stop the roll. Keep holding full down elevator and full left rudder. The plane should enter into an inverted flat spin. You may need to adjust throttle input to keep the nose from dropping.

Exiting

There are several ways of recovering from a blender. You can simply fly out of it by neutralizing the control inputs and add throttle. You can continue inverted flight or roll it over to upright.

Another way of recovering is to transition into an [wiki=The Harrier]inverted harrier[/wiki]. Neutralize rudder and aileron input while holding up elevator and slightly increase throttle to put the plane into an inverted harrier. Some adjustments may be needed to stabilize the plane.

An Impressive way to exit the blender down low is to transition into rolling harriers.

Common mistakes

Once you have practised the maneuver and learned the stick movements, it is hard to make any major mistakes (other than recovering too late).

Tips

Spend time practicing transition to [wiki=The Harrier]inverted harrier[/wiki] as this pays off in terms of wowing your audience.

Video

Wamsy's blender tutorial:
[video=youtube;jepPW1x_neY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jepPW1x_neY&feature=share&list=UUiWE1rr0x0 mUSF0nhZ6_L7w[/video]

External Links

www.3drcforums.com

St3v3

30cc
Excellent tutorial thanks for putting it together, I've been practising on my sim, now all I need is some decent weather to have a go with my Slick;

[video=youtube;OdEgSU6cKHo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEgSU6cKHo[/video]

wedoitall

been doing this the way Scott Stoops book shows. today i tried it the way NJSwede posted here(just alil bit different), they looked better this way. thanks man!