• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The best fun I ever had

N2RYD

30cc
Hi everyone, I have been flying for 27 yr and today was the best day yet. There is a gentalman in our club who is 82 yr young and has not flown for over 20 yrs so today was both our lucky day. I got out my trusty sig senior kadet arf and I had Bill sit in a chair and we spent the next few hrs just lazy flying. I can not convey how fun it was. I brought hime back to his younger days.

Then the best part he pulled out of his car a Harold de bolt plane that he built back in 1957, and ask me to take it up for him and trim it out. Flying something that is 12 yrs older than me was a joy, and neat.

So if you know a senior citizen who at one time was in to flying do your self a favor ask if he would like to go fly. It will brighten you day.

Bob

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
N2RYD;20636 wrote: Hi everyone, I have been flying for 27 yr and today was the best day yet. There is a gentalman in our club who is 82 yr young and has not flown for over 20 yrs so today was both our lucky day. I got out my trusty sig senior kadet arf and I had Bill sit in a chair and we spent the next few hrs just lazy flying. I can not convey how fun it was. I brought hime back to his younger days.

Then the best part he pulled out of his car a Harold de bolt plane that he built back in 1957, and ask me to take it up for him and trim it out. Flying something that is 12 yrs older than me was a joy, and neat.

So if you know a senior citizen who at one time was in to flying do your self a favor ask if he would like to go fly. It will brighten you day.

Bob

Good on ya Bob. This is exactly what our hobby needs more of. People that will take time to remember those that brought "US" so far in this endeavor. And give them an opportunity to still be a part of it. Too many people I've known in the past are so ridiculously rude and selfish. I love going flying and especially when there is someone that would like a little help. To just see the smile on their face, makes me know there is a warmth in their heart from a happiness in enjoying something they really love to do. Two thumbs up Bob!!!!

mjg0808

50cc
That's great to hear Bob. I have a similar story. A colleague of mine who is also in his early 80's, used to fly full scale and RC many years ago and recently bought a mini quad to mess around with. When I found out that he had an interest in RC, I offered to take him up on my son's trainer. As soon as we can get together, he'll be up in the air and loving every minute of it as will I.

-Rick-

100cc
Nice!!! I have taken up a senior R/C pilot as well. To see the joy on their faces is priceless!!

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I've been doing this since 2010, mines a little more involved, and I've never mentioned it on the forums, because I don't do this for me. It takes up a tremendous amount of my time, but if you ever see the smile on this gents face when he's flying, you would understand why I do it. Mr. Herb, and I became friends early on when I joined his club. He was 81 then now 87. It's long story, but gonna try to keep it short
sf-laugh.gif
He started cracking up planes, having issues starting planes, his body just started to get where he couldn't do it. He was making rookie mistakes, just simply forgetting a lot of the simple things. I offered to help, little did I know it would grow into me assembling all his planes, keeping them in my shop, charging them, hauling them to the field, and now I keep him on buddy cord. He still flys really well, he looses orientation with the plane alot, so I do the take offs, and landings. My payment is great friendship, he has some of the best stories you would ever want to hear, even though I've heard all of them 10 or 20 times, probably more. If I'm heading to the Hobby Shop, he's usually riding shotgun, telling those stories again. He calls me almost everyday, specially when it's windy, raining, or just plain no way to go fly, saying lets go fly your planes Donnie. I kindly and politely tell him to kiss my azz. Mr. Herb is a character, and not sure how a damn yankee, and a redneck ever became such good friends, but I wouldn't trade him for anything. Sadly I know our time is limited, he is forgetting more an more, it's sad, but reality. Right now he can still get himself to the field, and home safely, but I'm a nervous wreck until I get call his home safe. Once he can't drive any longer. I will go pick him up, and carry him home, until he just can't do it any longer.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
ChickenBalls said
I've been doing this since 2010, mines a little more involved, and I've never mentioned it on the forums, because I don't do this for me. It takes up a tremendous amount of my time, but if you ever see the smile on this gents face when he's flying, you would understand why I do it. Mr. Herb, and I became friends early on when I joined his club. He was 81 then now 87. It's long story, but gonna try to keep it short
sf-laugh.gif
He started cracking up planes, having issues starting planes, his body just started to get where he couldn't do it. He was making rookie mistakes, just simply forgetting a lot of the simple things. I offered to help, little did I know it would grow into me assembling all his planes, keeping them in my shop, charging them, hauling them to the field, and now I keep him on buddy cord. He still flys really well, he looses orientation with the plane alot, so I do the take offs, and landings. My payment is great friendship, he has some of the best stories you would ever want to hear, even though I've heard all of them 10 or 20 times, probably more. If I'm heading to the Hobby Shop, he's usually riding shotgun, telling those stories again. He calls me almost everyday, specially when it's windy, raining, or just plain no way to go fly, saying lets go fly your planes Donnie. I kindly and politely tell him to kiss my azz. Mr. Herb is a character, and not sure how a damn yankee, and a redneck ever became such good friends, but I wouldn't trade him for anything. Sadly I know our time is limited, he is forgetting more an more, it's sad, but reality. Right now he can still get himself to the field, and home safely, but I'm a nervous wreck until I get call his home safe. Once he can't drive any longer. I will go pick him up, and carry him home, until he just can't do it any longer.
I hope that if and when one day when I too am at that age, and if my abilities fade as dramatically as Mr. Herb, there is someone like you that will still be willing to take the time to do for me as you do for your friend. You're a rare find and I am sure there are many that are thankful for your contribution, loyalty and dedication. My hat is off to you!

-Rick-

100cc
ChickenBalls said
sf-laugh.gif
ChickenBalls, you and people like you are the reason I enjoy this hobby so much!! It ain't just the planes!!

I have been on the other side of the coin, I have a very bad back. One day at the flying field I put a plane in waaaay out, the guys would NOT let me go out to get it. I kinda insisted saying that it's my plane and I put it in, my fault.  They still insisted that I stay at the field and that the ground was very uneven to walk on, they knew how much it would hurt me to go out there.       I stayed, they went. Can't ask for a better bunch of guys!