• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

suppo 7035/8

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Well that pages say's it's Recommended Model Weight is up to 48.5lbs (22kg) and I just checked a 3DHS 106" Edge 540 weighs (RTF): 23-28 lbs. Don't know anything about the motor so cant help ya there. If it can do what it say's well then it should be able to handle something like the 126" AJ Slick (RTF) 42-46 lbs. I would imagine. That thing is rated @ 6660 Watts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suds

50cc
Plugging that motor's info into the PAR calc with a 12S system (http://rcwebclub.com/PropEngine.aspx) estimates 6400 watts on a 25x10 prop with a 65mph pitch speed or 6800 watts on a 26x8 with a 55mph pitch speed.

So, lets say 6400 watts / 250 watts per pound = suitable for up to ~ 25# plane.

The 25" prop size may dictate a plane in the ~90" wingspan area? Weight is about 100g heavier than a Hacker Q80 so pretty close and the Q80 is being deployed in the 9x" types. (Edit: actually 245g heavier including the x mount)

This isn't my area of expertise but just trying to keep the conversation moving forward with some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Watts/pound is the best metric imo. If your plane weighs 28 pounds it will have about 237 watts per pound... definitely 3d capable but might feel anemic compared to a 300+ watt/pound 60" EF plane. When I first started learning about 3d people were trying to get over 150 watts/pound. But people have an insatiable demand for power so as more is available more is demanded :) keep your 100" plane as light as you can and the motor should work out pretty well.

Wow,very cool. Now what about the fact it can only use a 24-26" prop? How will that effect performance?
Won't it be slower pullouts and acceleration? Any way I can run a bigger prop with same power and pitch speed?

3dNater

I would not run over 10s on that motor... The rpms will be too high on 12s to have good 3d performance. You want to shoot for around 7000 rpms with a big prop. I think that motor is more suited to a 50cc 3d airframe.

This motor is very close in specs to the Q80-6L I am putting into a EF 91" Extra. The description says to keep the prop to 24" on 12s. The 91 likes a little more nose weight, so that would be the first plane I would direct you to. 190kv is also a little higher than the 180 on the 6L, so a Mej 24x10TH might work out well. The key is if the motor can take 3D stress or not.

3dNater

You can go bigger but you will have to still manage the amperage. You won't achieve the same watts on 10s without pulling more amps.