• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Steen Skybolt Landing Gear Options

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I mistakenly posted this in @acerc 's Stearman thread, it must have been jet lag that made me do it! Rather than delete it I just moved it to its own thread. Maybe a Skybolt lover (like myself) will find it helpful..................

I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Skybolt as I had a full scale project underway at one point. I think @MattyMatt 's dad has one of these kits but I don't know if he ever started it, I remember he was really happy when he got it but lost track of what happened after that.

Scale landing gear would be built up from tubes with bungees although Grove spring gear are fairly common as are the Charger style gear. Lately people are incorporating RV style gear with the tubes & fairings coming down from the engine mount just forward of the firewall.

The Charger style gear looks great but for the full scale plane it's very heavy.
Skybolt_Charger.jpg

Spring gear never look bad if you do fairings for the fuselage and wheel pant joints.
Skybolt_Spring.jpg

Plans built gear are probably the most scale for a Skybolt.
Skybolt_Scale.gif

Here's a Skybolt under construction with the RV gear
Skybolt_RV.jpg

Last edited: