• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Smoke systems

BalsaDust

So I'm gonna install a smoke system in my 30% Carden Cap 232. How about some pictures of how others have theirs setup and what they like and dislike about their setups. Got a smoke pump coming from a buddy not sure what kind if is but I'm gonna give it a try.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Here are a few from my 100cc Pilot Edge. I mounted matching TDRC 32 oz. tanks side by side. Looking from the rear of the plane forward, the smoke tank is on the right. Plumbing is pretty straight forward. Fill dot on the right side of the fuse. Sullivan Skywriter mid-ship behind the wing tube. For power, plugged directly into Smart-Fly board operating on its own designated channel.

Now for what I liked. Very cool to watch and smoked like it was on fire. What I didn't like? Maybe I just didn't have it tuned right or the 128 wasn't burning the Super Dry completely, but my fuse was a complete mess.

Attachments

• 20150628_151937.jpg
    20150628_151937.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 20150628_152056.jpg
    20150628_152056.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 381
  • 20150703_175659.jpg
    20150703_175659.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 20150703_182227.jpg
    20150703_182227.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 315

Bipeguy03

150cc
I run the Sullivan Skywriter and Aero Cumulus fluid.

Unfortunately, the systems in both my Ultimate and my Pitts are buried so pics won't show anything.

I did make some pre-heaters for my Ultimate, and while I don't get more smoke, I do see a lot less mess on the airframe because I can get the same amount of smoke with a lower flow which also makes that expensive smoke oil last longer!

I'll try to get some pics of my pre heaters tomorrow. They are SUPER simple but they work.

thepamster

70cc twin V2
Here is my Sullivan in my Pitts M12 with a DLE55RA.
This the bottom view underneath where the bottom wing goes. The 2S Lipo on the right for power. A 20 oz. tank is on left, just below fuel tank.
I split my outgoing line with a "T" and go into each side of the muffler. The input nipples on each side of the muffler are just pressure fittings squeezed partially closed to help spray the oil. It works well.
Mine is setup with a simple on/off. The fuel flow is turned way down, by end points, to just above barely working. This keeps from using too much oil and leaving a mess on the plane.
Sorry I don't have any video. This setup, very simple, works well for me. A good smoke system for me is one that allows me to easily make my airplane disappear in it. Lol.
Also, I have never felt there was a need for preheating smoke oil in gas engines.
GEDC0735.JPG
GEDC0732.JPG
GEDC0736.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I bought some Bisson smoke injectors to try on my system. Like @thepamster, my son and I like the planes to hide in the smoke. His 222 powered Edge smokes really good but hardly a mess at all. Maybe I need to get some pointers from the kid.
:laughing:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Pic of my pre heaters. Like I said, they are super simple and not as efficient as they could be but they were done as a proof of concept. The next set will have the pre-heater tube inside the muffler with the end of it dilled like a piccolo tube to try to atomize the fluid all around the inside of the can.

The more of the oil you can get to flash off, the better the smoke!

541688_406320196071791_1282888260_n.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
I bought some Bisson smoke injectors to try on my system. Like @thepamster, my son and I like the planes to hide in the smoke. His 222 powered Edge smokes really good but hardly a mess at all. Maybe I need to get some pointers from the kid.
:laughing:

PRE-HEATERS I'm tellin ya!!! :D lol I can run 3 or 4 tanks of smoke through my Ultimate and only have a little bit of a film of fluid on the bottom of the stabs.

Quads have HOOOOT mufflers, cuz well there are 4 cylinders. The closer you can get the fluid to the flash point before pumping it in the muffler the more of it will burn.

As for injectors, the Bisson ones are good but I make my own out of an old glow muffler pressure fitting and a piece of 1/8" brass tubing. That way you can play with the end in the muffler to get good atomization.