• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sheeting foam wings, how much weight is enough??

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm not sure about leaving gaps if you are not vacuuming. The glue foams, but not that much (because it's so thin). With vacuum it pulls the adhesive around where without vacuum it just goes down. Wish I was more help on that. I do know with poly you should see a nice even line of glue coming through the seams in the sheeting since it is edge gluing the sheeting during the process.

The process I've heard that Dennis at Carden describes seems most logial in that you spread glue evenly and very very thin then mist the foam with water, not the glue (buy's you an extra few seconds). I've never built a Carden but since you are actually build one of his kits I would highly suggest you give him a call and have him walk you through it. Hate to see you have any problems. I've heard he is very descriptive (perhaps long winded) if you catch him so it maybe worth your time.

Dan767

70cc twin V2
Mist the foam, not the glue. I used Poly glue, blue taped the balsa edges together. I used a plastic scraper to spread the glue thinly and evenly on the balsa, covering all of it. I didn't rush the process at all. Do one wing, put it in the shuck, weigh it down. Proceed to the next and do the same.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
all good advice guys, thanks very much. maybe i'll do one and then organize what you guys are saying and do a short video of the process. terry's got a vacuum bagging vid in the works so together they should sum it up pretty well.

the carden is already framed up and the foam parts are all sheeted. i bought it that way. the kit i'm building is an 81" Lanier Cap 232.

I'm not sure about leaving gaps if you are not vacuuming. The glue foams, but not that much (because it's so thin). With vacuum it pulls the adhesive around where without vacuum it just goes down. Wish I was more help on that. I do know with poly you should see a nice even line of glue coming through the seams in the sheeting since it is edge gluing the sheeting during the process.

The process I've heard that Dennis at Carden describes seems most logial in that you spread glue evenly and very very thin then mist the foam with water, not the glue (buy's you an extra few seconds). I've never built a Carden but since you are actually build one of his kits I would highly suggest you give him a call and have him walk you through it. Hate to see you have any problems. I've heard he is very descriptive (perhaps long winded) if you catch him so it maybe worth your time.

I can definitely agree with this. You don't want any wood surface with no glue on it, esp if placing weight on the shucks. Like Terry said, if in a vac bag, the vac will draw the epoxy over the uncoated parts.

I have a little experience with a vac bag. The biggest challenge a noob will have with a vac bag is setting the right amount of vac. If i remember correctly, I think 7 psi was what we used on Q500 wings, before most went to full composite.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a little experience with a vac bag. The biggest challenge a noob will have with a vac bag is setting the right amount of vac. If i remember correctly, I think 7 psi was what we used on Q500 wings, before most went to full composite.

I'll start a thread on Tuesday if things work out with "work" on vacuum bagging. It's as simple as a few dollar pressure switch to maintain vacuum. You are correct, but it's actually 7hz (inches of mercury) vs psi.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I use Gorilla Glue but roll it with a 4" foam roller until ONLY a gloss is visible. Then I custom cut sheets of 3/4" mdf. Spread the glue, mist the skins, assemble the wings, skins and shucks then place them between MDF and clamp firmly, no weights needed. The glue will expand into the foam making for a virtually no weight gain stupid strong bond. Unbeatable technique.

David

If you use the vacuum bag method, which is a way better method for skinning cores, you'll never go back to the old fashion way! And you won t have to screw around with wieghts on top of the wing either getting wieght distribution just right.

Last edited: