• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Share your ideas for safe pre-flight and flying

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Great thread @Wacobipe,

I belong with the group of glove wearers when I start my gas planes. It only took one 24x10 carbon fiber prop strike on one of my older 3Dub 60's to teach me that lesson. My fingers throbbed for the rest of the day. . . . . :omg:. I also wear a neck strap. It's funny because I learned to fly without one and swore up and down for the first few years that I would NEVER use one. Then I had to start wearing one when I developed Carpal Tunnel in my wrists and lost allot of my dexterity in my hands and fingers. Now, I cannot fly without one. I understand how some feel that the strap is restrictive, but to me it allows me to relax my hands and I enjoy it more.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Great thread @Wacobipe,

I belong with the group of glove wearers when I start my gas planes. It only took one 24x10 carbon fiber prop strike on one of my older 3Dub 60's to teach me that lesson. My fingers throbbed for the rest of the day. . . . . :omg:. I also wear a neck strap. It's funny because I learned to fly without one and swore up and down for the first few years that I would NEVER use one. Then I had to start wearing one when I developed Carpal Tunnel in my wrists and lost allot of my dexterity in my hands and fingers. Now, I cannot fly without one. I understand how some feel that the strap is restrictive, but to me it allows me to relax my hands and I enjoy it more.
I was going to use a paint roller Sunday when I went flying because I had poison ivy on my hand and didn't want to drag my glove on and off over it. I couldn't find any of my painting supplies at home, so I decided to pick one up and the hardware store that's close to my house, but they weren't open yet when I went past on my way to the field so I ended up using a glove anyway. I'm planning on picking one up and trying it next time out.

I also use a neck strap. Otherwise I always feel like I'm going to drop the transmitter when my hands get sweaty and I want to take a hand off for a second.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have heard of people using a paint roller, but I have never tried it. The last time I used a chicken stick was on a brand new Saito 180. That SOB kicked back so hard, it knocked the stick right out of my hand.

Something I've noticed at my club since the advent of 2.4 gHz radios is that most people have stopped doing range checks. Here recently, I have been guilty of it to, but I try and remember to do at least one at the start of the day. I also have to agree with @acerc, I don't like people who hang around and talk while I am trying to put my plane together. I don't say anything to them about it. I just stop and I talk to the individual until he is satisfied and walks away. Then I go back to my plane.

thurmma

150cc
I don't like people who hang around and talk while I am trying to put my plane together.
People have accused me of being anti-social because I will ignore anyone that comes up and tries to talk to me while assembling my plane at the field. The one time I did talk to someone I missed a power connection to one of the wings and had to pull the canopy off and plug the connector in, time wasted that could have been spent flying :(

I will talk AFTER I get done assembling my plane/planes. Leave me alone while I am assembling them unless there is an emergency that requires my attention, thank you.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm going to make up a small check list of things to do before the canopy goes on. I have been forgetting more and more things lately, and soon I'm going to pay for it.
Sunday when my friends and I were cleaning our airplanes before loading up to go home we were discussing charging batteries and it dawned on me that one of my packs was not plugged in. :msn_slap:

I have Duralite A123's that have a balance board on them. I charge them with a Duralite charger and if I don't unplug one of them they both quit charging when one of them is full. Somehow the night before after charging I forgot to plug it back into the receiver.

Luckily it was hot and it was kicking my butt, so I only flew two flights that day.

Wacobipe

100cc
Great Input going on here.

I fly with a neckstrap...and I've just taken the plunge and pre-ordered the new Jeti Dc-24 which is a tray radio, so now I'll have to wear a harness to hold the radio but I am convinced I'll have better, more fine control over the sticks. I fly scale and precision so smoothness and accuracy are important to me.

I have used both the glove and the paint roller...the roller is safer, but I'm never as comfortable with it as compared to using the glove.

The Jeti radio has the ability to build a custom pre-flight checklist right into the radio so I plan to use that!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
People have accused me of being anti-social because I will ignore anyone that comes up and tries to talk to me while assembling my plane at the field. The one time I did talk to someone I missed a power connection to one of the wings and had to pull the canopy off and plug the connector in, time wasted that could have been spent flying :(

I will talk AFTER I get done assembling my plane/planes. Leave me alone while I am assembling them unless there is an emergency that requires my attention, thank you.
Guilty as charged. Guess I'm so use to multi-tasking at work that I've never really given it a second thought. Feel free to talk to me anytime (except when I'm using the restroom. I hate that:p). I think my brain actually works better when someone is chewing on my ear. I think it drowns out all the voices in my head and allows me to focus on only one voice.:D

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
One of the easiest "tricks" I learned from a more experienced flyer was to turn on your transmitter and check all systems and function on your plane BEFORE you secure the canopy. You will NEVER (again!) go to the flight line without a servo or battery plugged in :fist_pump:.