• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Savox 2231SG Brushless Servos

3dbandit

100cc
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a set of Savox 2231's to use/review in my new Extreme Flight RC 104 Extra with dual thunder power 5400mah rx packs.

They are 555.5oz and 0.10 seconds at 7.4 volts. All of that for only $160!!!!

http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SB2231SG_Brushless_Digital_Servo_p/savsb2231sg.htm

Upon opening the box, I was already impressed just by the packaging.
photo.jpg

They came in a thick walled hard plastic case with a paper board support to pad the servos and compartmentalise the hardware. If the servos were to be dropped or impacted during shipping, I am confident that they would not be damaged at all.

Upon further inspection of the servos, I noticed that the top case was very substantial, especially around the output shaft and bushing support area. To me this is very important as past experience has shown a history of top case failure in my large 3D/IMAC planes.

The servos come with standard mounting hardware: rubber grommets with copper bushings, strong locking plastic servo arms, and a set of screws. The screws are phillips head so I will not be using them as I prefer running hex head screws which are easier to tighten.

As with other large savox servos, the 2231 uses a futaba servo spline and includes a nice Allen head servo screw.
I am running these servos with SWB servo Arms: 1.5" on the 4 aileron servos, 2" on the elevators, and a 4.5" arm on the two rudder servos.

Prior to mounting the servos I decided to do a test of the current draw on each of the servos: I mounted a 2" servo arm, plugged the servo into a JR match maker powered by a fully charged 2 cell lipo with a Hangar-9 inline current meter. Putting as much force on the servos as I could with my hands, the servos only peaked at 4.2 amps.

As of now I have 5 flights on the servos and absolutely love them.

I will be recording my experience with the servos in this thread (Precision, any slop in gears, change in feel...)

IMG_1014.JPGsav-sb-2231sg_3.jpg

Video Coming Soon!!! :cool:

gyro

GSN Contributor
awesome start to this long-term review Jacob, should be great.

I've decided to also setup my 104 with all Savox brushless servos, except I'm using the SB-2273SG servos all around except the rudder will have a single SB-2231SG. Should be awesome!

3dbandit

100cc
awesome start to this long-term review Jacob, should be great.

I've decided to also setup my 104 with all Savox brushless servos, except I'm using the SB-2273SG servos all around except the rudder will have a single SB-2231SG. Should be awesome!

You will love those servos.
I would put 2 of the 2231's on the rudder, the extra power makes a noticable difference.

3dbandit

100cc
Update:

As of now I am up to 10 flights, no development of any gear slop thus far, and perfect centering.

The holding power is phenomenal and I have not noticed any blowback yet.

[video=youtube;NPPk5HO2qrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPPk5HO2qrE[/video]

3dbandit

100cc
I now have 20 flights on these servos.

They are performing very very very well.

I noticed my rx was getting warm and was causing the servos to not perform to their full potential. I installed a cooling fan and it made a huge difference, the servos are performing even better than before. More holding power, smoother feel, and better centering.

So far, I am incredibly happy with theses servos.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I now have 20 flights on these servos.

They are performing very very very well.

I noticed my rx was getting warm and was causing the servos to not perform to their full potential. I installed a cooling fan and it made a huge difference, the servos are performing even better than before. More holding power, smoother feel, and better centering.

So far, I am incredibly happy with theses servos.

Are you running a powersafe rx?

3dbandit

100cc
Yes, the spektrum 12 channel. It has an issue where it gets warm easily and then causes issues. The servo centering changes and the rx does not work efficiently.

A few of the guys who fly IMAC locally tested the issue, they mounted a 4 in arm to a spektrum 6030 with a deflection meter and then heated the receiver with a hair drier. As the rx warmed up the centering changed by up to 6 degrees and constantly changed based on the temp of the rx. Perhaps [MENTION=1235]Zach-Attack[/MENTION] can comment more on this as he knows more of the details than I do.

I will be installing a temperature probe on my rx and see what I can find.

amstd7

70cc twin V2
Looking to put the 1230 coreless all around on the EF 104 Extra
500oz in. Won't have to remove packs everytime you get through flying, what do you guys think?