• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Safe Workshop Humidity/Temperature For Planes?

Wasn't really sure where to put this!!

I've noticed that as Winter approaches the relative-humidity in my workshop is 75-90% with the internal temperature anywhere between 41-54F (my heater comes on at 41F so it shouldn't drop below that).

Is there a risk that these conditions could, over a period of 3-4months of Winter damage my planes? I'm particularly concerned about engines, servos and electronics, but also any effects on the wooden airframes themselves.

Would be great to get some experiences/opinions on what is suitable for Winter storage of planes?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
scruff,

i'd be surprised if the rel. humidity is that high in the winter with the low temps. we'll see what others have to say but worst case is very hot and too dry or too wet, the conditions you're talking about seem perfect.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!

I've noticed that as Winter approaches the relative-humidity in my workshop is 75-90% with the internal temperature anywhere between 41-54F (my heater comes on at 41F so it shouldn't drop below that).

Is there a risk that these conditions could, over a period of 3-4months of Winter damage my planes? I'm particularly concerned about engines, servos and electronics, but also any effects on the wooden airframes themselves.

Would be great to get some experiences/opinions on what is suitable for Winter storage of planes?
by the way, i see you're in the UK. do many of your friends fly Giant Scale? Any interest in trying to stage an event in June when we do one here in the US? We've got Israel and India possibly represented as well

scruff,

i'd be surprised if the rel. humidity is that high in the winter with the low temps. we'll see what others have to say but worst case is very hot and too dry or too wet, the conditions you're talking about seem perfect.

It is possible the readings are off - it's a cheap device doing to monitoring. But then UK Winters are fairly wet and warm. My concern was really rust I guess at that humidity level, but probably over thinking it.

by the way, i see you're in the UK. do many of your friends fly Giant Scale? Any interest in trying to stage an event in June when we do one here in the US? We've got Israel and India possibly represented as well

We have an active IMAC community of which I am part. As it happens we have a big competition in June, right in the centre of the country that is likely to be very well attended. As you know, the UK is geographically quite small so any IMAC competition is "national". Anyway, we could certainly look at using that event to represent the UK - why don't you PM me some more details of exactly what the format/idea is and we can take it from there?

pawnshopmike

Staff member

My guess is your planes will be just fine. Lots of guys here in the States leave their planes in their trailers year round. That could mean 100 + degrees with near 100% humidity during the summer. And well below zero in the winter.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Here in Louisiana, hot and humid. I keep my planes in a storage shed with no climate control with no issues. (Humidity regularly in the 90% range.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Moisture is the enemy, if you have a place that stays relatively dry it doesn't matter how cold it gets.

From experience I will say don't leave your planes sitting on the floor if it get's damp in the winter like after a snow storm that is melting, that is asking for rust and corrosion.

I will be leaving mine in my trailer this winter, stays nice and dry in there and saves the room in my shop. Just remember if you leave it in the cold to take the batteries out if you don't already!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not as hot where I live but does get real cold at times if I am not working on my planes they are all hanging up in the garage not heated and it is what it is. It will go down well below zero. Been doing this since 1981 with no problems at all. But will take out the battery's. Lipo and a123, but nicad always stayed in the garage.

JAG

70cc twin V2
Just curious why you are removing your batteries? The cold wont hurt them, its actually better to store Lipo's in the cold. Heat is what kills them.