• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Robart Electric Retracts

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
In this video that I posted on my P-51 build thread, you cn clearly see that there is a catch in the movement. They both hang up in the same place. I discovered what the problem is, and thought since some of you had asked, that I would share my findings with you.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
As you watch the retracts extend you'll see them hang up. The issue is that the lift yoke assembly rubs against the inside of the side frames, on both sides. There isn't enough clearance and unless you're running a fully charged 6 volt battery, it'll stall the retract. Put a 6 inch tire on it, and they won't function. The simple solution would be to disassemble the frame (at least in the front) and put a small washer on each end of the lift yoke pivot pin. But the pin is machined on each end so that it fits into hole in the side frame. The other fix would be to grind off the yoke. hmmmm. Think I'll forward this to Robart.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
OK - I sent Robart a link to this thread earlier this morning and then called them this afternoon. They are sending me a FedEx return tag and are going to fix them ASAP, and send them back. I'll let everyone know how this goes. I've never had a problem with Robart equipment or customer service. And don't expect anything less this time.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Good luck with those, I'm in the process of putting together the 60cc hangar 9 corsair and the electric Robarts get absolutely horrible reviews. I'm avoiding them and trying to get a set from Sierra which are really high quality but the service is a little slow...

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Thanks. I've heard a lot of the same complaints. But, and my information may not be totally accurate, I've heard that the problems came when robart was sourcing components from Down and Locked. Apparently now that they are using their own actuators, the issues have been resolved. You can tell the new ones by the robart logo on the actuator itself. As for the problem I pointed out above, I probably could've fixed it myself, but when you pay $700 for a set of retracts you like for them to be right. The guys at robart agreed. We'll see. . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

camss69

70cc twin V2
I tried to order my Sierra gear about 3 weeks ago and still no sign of them... I really wanted the Robart electrics, they powder coated them white and they look really awesome! Plus the plane was built with them in mind... Drop right in convenience.. But then more and more stories of failure, and the cost is really high.. The tailwheel actuator also has a really high failure rate.. So I was kind of forced to look elsewhere.. So then I went to Sierra which I hear can sometimes take months to get it but once you finally get them they are very high quality reliable gear. The thought of the gear not coming down on the corsair is a nightmare..

Some people do report they haven't had issues.. I still have no gear for it either way.. I would be interested to know if they switched to new actuators I may consider them again

Lojik

70cc twin V2
This is just my experience but i have dealt with over 30 different sets of electric retracts ranging from small 5kg models to 25kg giant scales. The best setups i have dealt with were electron retracts from europe but they are not cheap. Next on my list is converting sierra or century units to electric using lado black v2 666 units. Robart i have not had much experiance with but like you said if your spending big bucks for a medium size retract set you would expect them to be flawless

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
The mechanics of the gear that I got from Robart seems to be quite good. The issue with this set is that the tolerances between the yoke and the side frames are too close and they drag on the inside. The guy I talked to at Robart knew exactly what I was talking about and watched the video I made while I was on the phone with him. He promised that it was an easy fix and that he would turn them around quickly. They're paying for the shipping both ways - he sent me a FedEx label via email.