• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Restoring The Laser

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey thanks Buddy,

I was interested in using the red, yellow and silver that was on the bottom of the PDF file Daytonrc found and posted for me because I wanted to do one of the full size schemes. I was even able to import the PDF into AutoCAD and draw up the striping and stars so Dennis could cut them out for me. My reoccurring problem is that nasty little four letter word keeps popping it's ugly head up. You're familiar with the one "WORK". Right now, I am slammed. I'm trying to design two new large schools and my boss calls me into his office and starts off by saying "I'm sorry". Man I hate it when someone starts off a sentence like that. . . . . :ugh:. Anyway he continues by saying "I know you're busy, but there are two more jobs I'm going to have to get you involved in. Needless to say the chances of me getting a some free time to work on my Laser just went from slim, to none. Therefore, I have once again changed my mind about recovering my Laser. I will do it eventually, but I just don't see it happening this year.

Oh well, Life goes on.
Just my opinion David...I have no doubt you are a loyal employee. But at some point my friend, you have to say enough is...enough. You need "YOU" time pal. Otherwise, you work yourself into an early grave. Give yourself a break buddy. At least an hour per day. You'd be surprised at how much covering and building you can do in a day. Just watching out for ya pal.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well hello Fellas,

I've been EXTREMELY busy with work the last few weeks, but I got all kinds of good news this week. Firstly, a man that used to work with us for almost 12 years and left about 4 years ago has decided to come back. Best part about it is that since he obviously knows how we do things, he will be able to jump in with both feet and help take a load off of all of us. We may have also found another electrical designer as well. All of this is excellent news, but there is only a small problem. The man doesn't start back with us until a week from Monday. So, if I can live through one more 80 work hour week, I'll be able to slow down some. . . . . :woohoo!: Secondly, an R/C friend of mine has offered me the use of his VERY NICE work shop as a place to build my AMR Stick. Of course, I will make it up to him somehow. Thirdly, my good Buddy Jeff told me today that as soon as he finishes the Arrow he is working on, we can get to work on replacing the firewall on my Laser. it truly humbles me and sometimes it is hard for me to believe how blessed I am to have the friends I have. I just wish everyone I know was as lucky as I am. . . . . . .:yesss:.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was able to get a Great Planes Giant stick that is very well built but has never been flown. If I had a Spectrum radio, it would have been RTF. It has a brand new Evolution 26 gas engine, all the servos, two LiFe batteries plus an optical kill switch. All for less than the price of the ARF alone. I will fly it until my AMR Stick is finished, then I will sell it for what I paid to try and share some of my good fortune with one 0f my friends.

The only bad new is that I will not be able to document the repairs on my Laser. Of course I will keep the thread updated, but I will not be able to post any pictures. On the other hand, I am considering do a build thread on my AMR Stick, complete with pictures if there is any more interest in my rambling. . . . . :laughing:

I will leave you guys with a little trivia. I will give you a clue which is "it has nothing to do with Giant Scale". The best I can figure is @49dimes "may" know it, but I don't know who else will. Anyway, here's the question, put your thinking caps on.

How many of you know what a Fitzpatrick 61 is?

Later Fellas

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
A Fitzpatrick 61 is a very good looking high performance 2 stroke. Rossi's, OPS's, Jett's , etc are stronger but the Fitzpatrick was a successful early player in the high performance field. Correct?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Couple of brothers named Fitzpatrick teamed up with a Swiss watchmaker in the 70's to develop this....

Fitz 61.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Ladies and gentlemen, we have two winners. @dhal22 is close enough. When this engine was introduced, it was the most powerful 2-stroke available and is the only 2 stroke that was produced in the USA (originally). It was manufactured in Canada for a short time, but eventually manufacturing returned to the USA. @49dimes is right too (even though he cheated and used Google. . . . . . . . :laughing:) I found one of these on another site and I have to say, the machining on this thing is INCREDIBLE. According to the paperwork that came with it, the motor will turn an 11x7 at almost 14,000 rpm on the stock muffler (pictured) with 5%-10% nitro. That's harder than my 61 FSR would turn one on a tuned pipe.

OK, we better get back on topic before we get in trouble. It will still be a little while before I am able to get back to the Laser, but I am still shooting for a spring re-maiden. I cannot wait . . . . . :big_yes: It's something to look forward to, since I'm working again this weekend. . . . . . :ugh:

Rusty 73

100cc
The casing on it looks alot like the Rossi's i ran in the eights , very well built and heavy as well . You couldn't hurt them even if you had a lean setting ;)