• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Recommendations - EF or PA

RoadGlide

New to GSN!
Hello,

New to the group. I still crash a lot when trying 3D, not very good at 3D but want to be. Pretty decent at sport aerobatics.

The time change stinks (dark before I get home) so Santa NEEDS to bring me a winter build project. I presently have the following 3DHS planes, 47" SHP, 57" 330SC, and EPP Slick.

I was thinking about an Edge or something like that. I'm not trying to start a manufactures flame fest. Just everyone here has more experience than I and I would appreciate good rubber meets the pavement feedback. I (rather Santa) only has so much money.

Since I do crash customer service and spare parts is important to me. Yes, I can fix small damage but when the really bad things happen...well customer service with spare parts abvailability is nice.

I was thinking about either The Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T-EXP ARF or Precision Aerobatics 57" Katana MX ARF.

I know my mileage may vary but would be interested to hear the prose and cons of each choice. Please...

gyro

GSN Contributor
Honest feedback:

1- Customer Service: Extreme Flight RC service is among the best in the entire RC industry. During their office hours, you can always reach Curtis or Melissa by phone, or if they're on another call, you can leave a message and it'll be returned. I've had wonderful experiences with them, even on order changes, dealing with missing parts, or just needing Chris to explain something to me. I'm confident you'd be happy with their service.

2- Durability: I've owned 7 Extreme Flight RC airplanes, and can say they are built extremely tough. I've had crashes that have/would have destroyed other planes, and my EF birds took the beatings as asked for more. If you want to see some serious floggings, look at Doc Austin's videos. You can find them in some of his reviews here on the site.

3- Flight Performance: I think the Extreme Flight RC Edge-EXP airplane is an industry leader in performance. I've owned both the 48" and 60" versions, and hope to get the 88" next. If you want true (even I could do it!) rock free harrier performance, locked in knife edge, and high energy tumbles, I've experienced them all with my EF Edges.
I highly recommend this airplane!

4- PA: I've only owned one PA airplane, the Ultimate AMR. It flew very well, but at my skill level, I wasn't able to fully exploit its capabilities. I did see an Addiction-X flying last weekend, and it seemed to fly very well. As for toughness, I do know that when my AMR and my EF Edge were blown off a 3" foot hight table from a gust of wind, it was damaged, and the EF Edge was not. I supposed it could have depended on the way they fell, but it is all I personally have to go by. I also can't speak too much about their customer service, other than to say that they we're willing to accept back some props that I had ordered, but no longer needed, and offered a refund minus 20% if i shipped them back via UPS. I ended up selling them in the classifieds instead.

I hope we can get more PA owners involved with the site to share their experiences, but I haven't been able to get many signed up yet.

I hope this helps!

-G

Last edited by a moderator:

djmoose

70cc twin V2
You already have one of the best sub-30cc planes out there...the 57...but here's my honest feedback.

First of all, an Edge flies different..be prepared for that. If you're just learning, you might just want to concentrate on the great planes you already have. Think about it...you've already got an awesome foamy...a great 3S plane...and a great 4-5S plane.

If you want another plane just to have another plane...that's cool and we're all RC addicts and we can relate...however...if you're hoping a new plane (besides the ones you have) will help you learn 3D better or easier...I don't agree with that idea. THAT BEING SAID...a lot of people (including myself) think that the 3DHS slicks are like big teddy bears and are great to learn 3D with.

Customer Service:
Both 3DHS and EF are great. With 3DHS, you might have to wait a day or two for an email response...but they will take care of you. EF is also amazing with CS, so no worries there. I have heard bad stories with PA's customer service but I've never used it so I can't speak from experience. Remember they're a foreign company with a US distribution company.

Durability:
Both EF and 3DHS planes are durable. PA planes are built to be as light as possible so they're naturally a little more brittle...but they also have a lot of carbon fiber. MY opinion is that EF and 3DHS both have the edge in this department.

Flight Performance:
You're not going to get an 3DHS or EF plane that doesn't fly good as long as you use the recommended equipment and set it up according to the specified recommendations. Every PA plane is built to be as light as possible and they definitely fly accordingly. A lot of people don't care for how the PA planes feel because of this and I am one of them. I've flown the Extra 260 and Extra MX and I don't care for them at all. You...however, might like how they fly, so I'd REALLY recommend trying to find one to fly before you buy one. (PA plane)

If I were you, I'd save my money in the coming months and put it towards your first 30cc sized plane. (~70 inches...3DHS or EF....I would personally steer you towards a 71 Slick since I've assembled/owned one and have flown a bunch.) Face it, you're going to want to go bigger soon...

Just my thoughts...

RoadGlide

New to GSN!
EF 60" Edge motor?

I told myself that after Christmas I would make the decision. I just can't afford to go gas :-(

I must say I have always liked the 59" 3DHS Slick...but some real bummer business experience with them..I do this for fun, right? I just can't bring myself to repeat the past. Spending money to hassle with CS issues is silly.

So I am going with the 60"EF Edge and wanted to ask. Would you all go withe the recommended power combo? Or is there some Motofly that is better?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I told myself that after Christmas I would make the decision. I just can't afford to go gas :-(

I must say I have always liked the 59" 3DHS Slick...but some real bummer business experience with them..I do this for fun, right? I just can't bring myself to repeat the past. Spending money to hassle with CS issues is silly.

So I am going with the 60"EF Edge and wanted to ask. Would you all go withe the recommended power combo? Or is there some Motofly that is better?

The recommend power combo with the new torque MkII motor will work excellent! It's gotten rave reviews, and while I understand it runs a pinch warmer than the motrolfly, it can handle it fine.

Great airplane choice!

Santi8

70cc twin V2

The 60" edge from EF is probably the best 3d trainer on the market right now. It's so stable, floaty, and predictable. Not nearly as violent as the 58" 3dhs edge, but much more friendly to someone who is learning! The power combo will be awesome as well as motrofly 4315 480. Both will give you crazy power and awesome flight times on a 6s 3300ish pack!

I'm dying to try the 88" EF Edge this season. I hear it's floaty like the 60" but much more violent!!

SnowDog

The 60" edge from EF is probably the best 3d trainer on the market right now. It's so stable, floaty, and predictable. Not nearly as violent as the 58" 3dhs edge, but much more friendly to someone who is learning! The power combo will be awesome as well as motrofly 4315 480. Both will give you crazy power and awesome flight times on a 6s 3300ish pack!

I'm dying to try the 88" EF Edge this season. I hear it's floaty like the 60" but much more violent!!

I've got a 6S3000 setup on my 58" Edge with the Motrolfly 4315-480 and it rocks...1300W I believe on a freshly charged new pack! Like a rocket!
I'm sure the 60" Edge from EF will perform similarly...you can't go wrong with this size.

Santi8

70cc twin V2
I've seen those motors approach 1700w on a bench test! They are my favorite for sure- but the new EF combos are awesome as well!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've seen those motors approach 1700w on a bench test! They are my favorite for sure- but the new EF combos are awesome as well!

OR 2000+ watts if its the one in my MXS with an 16x8 and a Glacier 3300 6s battery!

Last edited by a moderator: