• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Prop adaptors keep deforming

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
I have two Motrofly DM4315-480 motors. One in a 3dhs 57" extra and the other in my EF 60" edge.

Both are running Xoar props currently, 15x8 for the extra and 16x7 or 16x8 on the edge.

My problem is that on the two times I have had a little mishap that causes props to break, on first occasion was an inverted harrier that caught the rudder and dropped in and second time was a tumble too low that went in inverted.

Both times cause very little damage to the plane but on both occasion the broken prop also ended with a wobble in the prop adaptor.

As I had spare prop adaptors (sourced via a well know member here) I was able to verify that it was the adaptor and not the motor shaft or can that had gone out of alignment.

Both motors still run sweet, sound great and have heaps of power for very little heat generation even on hot days and the larger 16x8 prop.

Has anybody got any ideas, or Ken, have you sent this previously with this size adaptor?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I am going to take a stab at this... Prop adapters, being cheap compared to the rest of the motor, are going to be an in-design fail point for the motor. Basically it is going to bend rather than your shaft. Sort of like a fuse... You'd rather have a cheap part you can replace than cause major damage to the whole system. I always just try to have a spare. I see you are in Australia so this might not help you as much but I hope it helps you a little. I'm sure someone else will come along and either validate or disprove my theory ;)

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am going to take a stab at this... Prop adapters, being cheap compared to the rest of the motor, are going to be an in-design fail point for the motor. Basically it is going to bend rather than your shaft. Sort of like a fuse... You'd rather have a cheap part you can replace than cause major damage to the whole system. I always just try to have a spare. I see you are in Australia so this might not help you as much but I hope it helps you a little. I'm sure someone else will come along and either validate or disprove my theory ;)

Nate, I think that's a damn good theory. Better to replace an external $3 part, then disassemble the whole motor to replace a shaft. Matter of fact, you could even change a prop adaptor without even taking the motor on/of the airplane!

Manta

70cc twin V2
Yes,the prop adapter will bend if you doink it.It is made of aluminum so is a little pliable. I would much rather bolt another prop adapter on than have to send the motor in for repair. Are you able to get your motors from the states?Or are you ordering from the UK? Got a pic of your adapter? Also,may wanna take a gander at your bearings if the motor has been hit hard enough to bend a prop adapter.
Thanks Nate and Gyro you guys be correct :)

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Thanks guys.

Ken will not ship anything related to Motrolfly to Australia however I have a mate state side that is happy to act as intermediary for me to keep Ken clean of violating any license agreements he has with Motrolfly.

I did contact the local Motrolfly agent down under, and no stock of adaptors in this size.

Guess I'll just have to keep a few spares.

Eagle34

50cc
I have a 2815 with Ken now that only had one flight, bent the prop adapter and motor mount. I sent it to Ken to have checked out, he said the repairs were a new mount, new prop adapter and a new front bearing. I was surprised by this but maybe Ken was just being safe. Just wanted to point out that even though you might think the bearings are fine, they may be suspect.