• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Programming and setup help on a Spektrum DX-8

wedoitall

I find the switch-able throttle curves really handy on the DX8 for programming an idle and kill switch (for electric), plus a curve if you want.
  1. In the Throttle curve menu set switch to 'Mix'
  2. Move the mix switch to the 'hold' position and set all points of the curve to zero - this is now the throttle 'kill' position.
  3. Flick the mix switch and set the first point on the curve to 5-7%, this is the idle (adjust to give smooth idle). I typically set the rest of the points to 37, 65, 85 and 100 to give a slight reverse exponential curve (activate the 'Expo' function on this switch position)
Set like this the ESC wont arm unless you have the mix switch set to 'hold'. Flicking the switch sets the motor running at idle. Having an idle programmed give you much faster pickup from closed throttle as the ESC doesn't have to re-synch with the motor.

i have mine set up almost the same way. i love it . i like the throttle response better and i like using the idle up for landing, plus it seems to sync the motor and esc .

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I just set up a throttle curve on my DX-8 The speed control I am using has all the power right off idle. I am going to reset the end points in the controller and go through the programming sequence. I have it working much better. My question is throttle expo. I see there is inh/act expo in the menu. I do not see where to setup the expo? I am sure I am missing the obvious.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
if you set up a throttle curve activating 'Expo' makes a smooth curve between the points you set. With expo disabled you get a series of straight lines between the point on the curve.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Thanks. That makes sense. This has really helped with this speed control. All the power was off idle to about 50%

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Thanks. That makes sense. This has really helped with this speed control. All the power was off idle to about 50%

The other thing to check is your end-point calibration. If thottle seems to max out well before the stick is all the way up then it's probably your end point that needs calibrating. The procedure for this depends on the brand of ESC.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I did try that. This is an Eflite silver esc. It calibrates every time you plug it in. That was the first thing that came to mind. I think the main thing is I am overpowered. I can hover just off idle and just a click makes it climb pretty fast. I changed the curve and it helped a bunch. I actually went a little too mellow. I am at 0, 17,34,66, 100 right now. I will try it when the rain lets up. Its cramping my style! Lol