• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Precision Flight Tutorials Episode 2!

]Hello all you precision hungry Pilots!

Here we are with Episode 2 of the series. In this video I cover wind correction and holding lines in the wind.

Wind correction is a MAJOR factor for every type of flying and can really improve your skills as a pilot.

Wind (no matter what direction) affects the airplane, moving it around involuntary in the sky. This gives the flight an uncontrolled look and should be worked on constantly. All those day you go out to the field and it's windy you just want to pack up and go home? No more! Fly! Even when you don't want to. Of course respect your boundaries for how much wind you're willing to fly in and fly accordingly. Correcting for wind uses all 4 controls of your aircraft. Throttle management being a HUGE factor will take time to master. If you have an aircraft with enough power, use all of it you can, it will help.

Guides:

1. Wind going straight down the runway. When the wind is coming straight down the runway, this will change how quickly the aircraft will move, and will effect ascending and descending maneuvers. When headed into the wind while pulling a vertical or ascending maneuver, always UNDER pull the line. For instance depending on the wind, pull a vertical and instead of 90 degrees, leave the airplane at about 80 degrees. Experiment with different angels for different conditions. For a 45 degree into the wind, under pull the airplane to about 40 degrees, again experiment with different angels.

For downwind verticals and ascending lines do exactly the opposite. OVER pull the moves and pull very aggressive lines, so you wont get blown to Timbuctu.

2. Crosswind blowing in. This is slightly harder to explain due to the variation of moves possible. While flying straight lines, verticals, ascending or descending lines, use rudder (or elevator if flying on the side of the aircraft) to angle the nose of the airplane into the wind. Again, with different conditions this will need to be experimented with. Mixing elevator and rudder through these moves is 100% necessary and will need to be mastered.

You will notice the airplanes flying at angels through your moves. This is 100% acceptable as long as the aircraft IS following the correct line. Even though the airplane might me at 80 degrees instead of 90 in an into the wind vertical, the airplane IS actually traveling vertically and no downgrades should be necessary in competition and it looks cool ;)

P.S. Please excuse the terrible flight. I forgot I was flying the 3D setup of this airplane! >_< Also watch in HD!

[video][video=youtube;1E3WI6WtsfA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E3WI6WtsfA&feature=plcp[/video[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

Nice job again brian!

Im glad im getting all this good information and resources from people like yourself and all the others that have helped me, this early in my learning of flying. hopefully will make me a better pilot with good habits.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Nice job Brian and looks like all improvements (resolution and transmitter size) made watching the video easier.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Brian, Excellent! You are pulling hard to vertical (with wind correction!) on the video tutorials learning curve.

Building on the basics is really refreshing and critical for bridging the gap between casual circle flying with arbitrary aerobatics (aka "gee I hope the airplane goes where I want it to") to reckless abandon "hucking" ("how hard and fast can I throw these sticks around and see what happens next, then hopefully recover before the ground takes over"!) to reach what is hopefully everyone's goal- controlled, precision 3D flying.
Thanks!

ABLEC6

New to GSN!
More more more! I'd love to see a review of the 2013 IMAC sequences even basic & sportsman would help. Thanks for your helpful videos!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
More more more! I'd love to see a review of the 2013 IMAC sequences even basic & sportsman would help. Thanks for your helpful videos!

I'm sure a tutorial version would be great but in case you haven't seen them the sequence videos are all on the IMAC site. I'd like to see a breakdown of them with wind correction notes too.

wedoitall

i just got a lil book in the mail as a gift today, on flying precision aerobatics in crosswinds. looks like pretty good info, especially for a nub like me. but i would like to learn from the start on flying precision with wind corrections.