• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Power set ups

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So I have ordered my new Extreme Flight 91" Extra and I have Savox 1270TG servos. Of course these are HV and I have been using 2S LiPo's unregulated for power. I am considering selling them and dropping back to 6V with Savox 1283SG's. If I go that route I am just not sure if I should use 6.6 2S 123's or something higher voltage and use a regulator. I hate adding cost if not necessary and I also don't like adding in something else to fail. On the LiPo charging I do charge with a Power Labs PL8.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Wait why do you want to go away from a 2S setup? With HV servos you can run completely unregulated which not only saves weight but also makes the setup as simplified as possible. If you drop back to 6 volt servos you have to run a regulator, even for 2s A123's.

If you already have the gear then why not run it? That's going to be the least expensive route rather than selling everything and buying a whole load of more junk.

The 1270TG's are great servos too, I had them in my Yak before I had to sell them to switch to Hitec. Zero issues with them at all.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Wait why do you want to go away from a 2S setup? With HV servos you can run completely unregulated which not only saves weight but also makes the setup as simplified as possible. If you drop back to 6 volt servos you have to run a regulator, even for 2s A123's.

If you already have the gear then why not run it? That's going to be the least expensive route rather than selling everything and buying a whole load of more junk.

The 1270TG's are great servos too, I had them in my Yak before I had to sell them to switch to Hitec. Zero issues with them at all.
+1:yesss:

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
If you drop down, you can run 123's no problem without a regulator. Either setup will work just fine.

If you drop back to 6 volt servos you have to run a regulator, even for 2s A123's.

@Xpress,

2s A123s have the same voltage when fully charged as a 5 cell NiCd or NiMH battery. And when you read 6 volt capable, what the manufacturer means is that the device (servo, ignition, light, whatnot) will work with a 5 cell Nickle battery.

So when you see 6 volt rated, 2s A123s are supported/included. Furthermore, A123s are a particular brand/form of LiFe battery, which means any 2s LiFe battery will also work.

What IS NOT supported for almost all 6 volt rated gear is LiPO and LiON batteries. When fully charged they are in the neighborhood of 8.2 or 8.4 volts which is above the supported voltage range. Those battery types need a voltage regulator or step down diode to be used with 6 volt gear.

What is not included

BJ Swope

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You are correct, nickel cell packs can reach as high as 1.5v per cell fully charged, so 7.5v for a 6 cell pack. Though under load, that voltage will drop significantly. I'd imagine a fully charged 2s life pack (7.2v) would hold it's voltage much better under load.

Dealer choice. I personally like to keep my setups as simple as possible to eliminate as many failure points as possible. And for me that means running 2s lipo/ion pack voltages directly to the receiver, and HV servos.

garlandk

100cc
I am doing 3 cell setup in my new plane with a Bec to drop it down to a typical charge of a 2 cell pack.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
My decision got easier today as I sold my MXS that had the 1270's in it and he had servos. I had asked because I if I had to sell them I hear many liking the 1283's and just wondered if the change was worth it. I like the simple multiple 2S power with a Wolverine. Thanks for the feedback

I have good luck with the 1231sg I hade them in two planes. If you are looking for a 6v set up. I run them on a123 straight. No reg. now have them in my 100cc edge.