• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

OS. 155FS-a Alpha Series Pumped 4-Stroke Glow Single

Roger Chamberlain

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
If I mount this engine in a plane I’m starting to build. Upside down will it be harder to start?

155FS-a Alpha Series Pumped 4-Stroke Glow Single with Muffler, by OS Engines
  • Ideal for 120 size scale and sport models and aerobatic models requiring stable power and linear throttle response
  • PD-08 pump and 70R carburetor integrated with regulator ensures stable fuel delivery regardless of model attitude and fuel level
  • F-6020 three piece design muffler with center heatsink
  • New internal lubricating system eliminates breather tubing from the crankcase
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/os-mg0998.html

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
If I mount this engine in a plane I’m starting to build. Upside down will it be harder to start?

• Ideal for 120 size scale and sport models and aerobatic models requiring stable power and linear throttle response
  • PD-08 pump and 70R carburetor integrated with regulator ensures stable fuel delivery regardless of model attitude and fuel level
Inverted glow engines are a little harder to deal with than upright or horizontal mounted ones. Being inverted is not a problem for gas engines.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

This particular engine has a pump integrated into it, so it's probably a pressure - on-demand pump like the gas engines have. So it will not siphon fuel out the carb when the carb is below the center line. The rocker box may gum up with oil inverted but that's just a guess. Guessing it would be absolutely fine inverted, going that size a 20-30cc gas engine would also work. What plane are you working on anyways?

Roger Chamberlain

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thank you guys for your help. Have me thinking in a different direction......

Well Im building a scratch build mix. Between a Dalotel, Great Planes "Super sportster", and Challenger ll. Tail dragger. Really a 120 four stroke would be plenty. After reading the above post, started thinking about gas. Will this be about the same as an OS 120 Four Stroke for power? It's 20cc gas.

IMG-0755.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you guys for your help. Have me thinking in a different direction......

Well Im building a scratch build mix. Between a Dalotel, Great Planes "Super sportster", and Challenger ll. Tail dragger. Really a 120 four stroke would be plenty. After reading the above post, started thinking about gas. Will this be about the same as an OS 120 Four Stroke for power? It's 20cc gas.

I've ran the RCGF21cc, returned it for a single cylinder. Many have had great success with it, I wasn't happy with the idle, transition, or reliability. Probably had a lemon. DLE20cc with the side exhaust seems to be a keeper based on similar conversations here.
Here's a video I took with the RCGF 21T before I traded it for a VVRC 21cc (single) and then later sold the airplane.

Roger Chamberlain

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Nick,
Thank you that was AWSOME. It’s beautiful there were you live. The air looked so clear. All the trees and mountains. And snow on the mountain tops was fantastic.... Thank you.
Do you think the altitude may have had something to do with you not liking the performance of the engine? What weight, and size plane was that you were flying? It looked like the twin was pulling it around quite well. I talked to Joe Nelson @ the warehouse today. He said they’ve made some changes to that model. The newest batch coming in about 2 weeks. It just looks so cool. Would it pull a sport aerobatic around for loops, rolls, snaps, and vertical climb? No 3D...! Plane weight around 8, 81/2 , 9lb. 70” wingspan low wing.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Roger!
I had to baby the engine, no throttle romping on that little guy. Didn't like getting put into a slip either or high attitude climbs. I don't remember the OAW of that model, but it flew scale. I am at sea level with cool air... doesn't get much better than that ha ha!
The little gas engines 20cc and down take a crazy amount of time to break in. Probably 1-2 gallons. Someone here mentioned that they will break them in on a test stand first 30:1 lawnboy for the first gallon. That's like a day of running. They sip fuel in comparison to nitro. You gotta remember the 20cc twin is really two 10cc gas engine cylinders put together. They don't offer that much compression, and need to be broken in well. Plus, hand starting is no fun with a little gasser.

sailr

50cc
I've ran the RCGF21cc, returned it for a single cylinder. Many have had great success with it, I wasn't happy with the idle, transition, or reliability. Probably had a lemon. DLE20cc with the side exhaust seems to be a keeper based on similar conversations here.
Here's a video I took with the RCGF 21T before I traded it for a VVRC 21cc (single) and then later sold the airplane.

I have the RCGF 21cc twin but haven't run it yet. Probably won't until after the warranty runs out. Just my luck if it's not a keeper.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have the RCGF 21cc twin but haven't run it yet. Probably won't until after the warranty runs out. Just my luck if it's not a keeper.

You may have a keeper, lots of folks had success with theirs, fingers crossed you wont have a lemon like mine. Fun little engine.