• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

One Year After I Flew My First RC Plane, Here is 6 Mins of Fun With A Crack Laser

AKfreak

150cc
Hey guys,

Boy a lot has happened to me in a years time. Yep, last October I flew a Carl Goldberg Laser 200 that I bought from a man I found on Craigslist. Since then I have bought and or built many planes (15ish- from UMX to 35% gassers). You see, this RC plane bug bit me hard! Its like the Dracula of the RC plane bugs has sunk his fangs deep in my neck and refuses to let me go. And I am just loving it. Of all the types of flying I love, it's 3D. I am not very good at it, but I practice every day.

The most valuable tool for me has been my foamies. Yes I love to fly my big balsa planes, but when I do get to fly them (every Sunday) I get nervous. With my foamies, I can practice without fear. I firmly believe its the fear that holds many of us back. The first 20 times I tried a rolling Harrier with a Balsa I freaked out and did maybe two or three rotations. With the foamie I was able to learn because I practiced it over and over, and when I crashed it meant nothing. Dont get me wrong, I am not the best at them, but I can do them now (even on my balsa planes :).

I have 3mm Depron foamies with over $600 in them and 80-100 hours of labor, they fly great, but if you crash they are hurt badly. This is why I love my EPP foamies. In particular I love my Twisted Hobbys foamies, becuse they fly great, and they dont break easy. But if they do, a little glue and you are back in the air. I think I have owned 6 or 7 Twisted Hobby foamies and my personal favorite is the Crack Laser. I fly it as much as I can.

I sneak out of the house right after dinner and put ion a couple of packs, like I did today and made the video below. Heck, I might sneak a pack or two at lunch and sometimes on the way home after I drop the kids off at school. I take it with me almost all of the time, even on vacations. The Lazer has flown on the Pacific Ocean, Zion, Yosemite, Mt Charleston, Red Rock Canyon, not to mention every park and ball field in Las Vegas that I can find (my kids play sports and love parks). I have flown it in Gyms, and hotel parking lots, I even hover it in my house when no one is home (the dogs hate it). I love this little plane, and today I want to share with you the progress I have made in my first year of flying RC planes.

[video=youtube_share;BYAJnSt8mH0]http://youtu.be/BYAJnSt8mH0[/video]

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Cool Tom. Those first couple of years learning to fly 3d are really fun... especially if you have a lot of time to practice. Keep it up!

AKfreak

150cc
True story. I never flew an rc plane before last October in the middle of the month. But I have a strong full scale aviation background.

I know I am no Jase, Joe, Cody, or Daniel.. but one day I hope to be as good at this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great progress in knowledge and flying Tom, you've had a steep learning curve!