• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

OMP Extra 300 v2 50cc

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Pulled the trigger on this ARF today, it's going to be my winter project the next several months. I'll open a build log when I start working on the Extra.

Planning for the maiden early March 2013. If it performs as good or better than my OMP 102" Yak SP-55M I'll be very happy.

50cc OMP Extra 300.JPG

SnowDog

That scheme looks awesome! Looking forward to your build thread.
What engine are you planning to use?

hone

150cc
Nice. I know someone who may be selling a 50cc OMP Yak soon. Love to see the build/quality of the Extra.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I went with the OMP Red Lion 58cc; probably put a Pitts style or canister on the engine. There are several threads in the Gas Engines section on FG and the overall comments are positive.

It has a two year warranty and is serviced by OMP should there be any issues.

If mine will start, run and sound as good as the one in this video I'll be a happy camper.

[video=youtube;-VVFSHKStoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-VVFSHKStoY[/video]

garlandk

100cc
This Extra is so precise. I am unsure of the weight of the Red Lion engine, but with my DLE 55 I ended up putting my batteries up beside the gas tank and the ignition up in the motorbox. The plane balanced perfect with that setup.

Good luck!

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I agree........that's a good thing hopefully..........LOL. Everything is still in the boxes, haven't had it out other than to look it over for damage or anything that may be missing.

I picked mine up at the Greyhound terminal last week; Greyhound shipping is fast if you don't mind having to pick it up at the closest terminal. I'm surprised more ARF vendors don't offer this as a shipping option on the larger airframes. Maybe cause they have to take it to the closest terminal as well. I've had two ARF's shipped this way; seems that Greyhound's package handling is more gentle that most of the other commercial carriers.

I'll post some "unboxing" pictures this weekend and may be able to start some of the preliminary assembly. If so I'll open a new thread for that as well as the first start/run of the Red Lion 58cc engine.

SnowDog

Excellent...can't wait to see the thread. I agree with your comments about Greyhound...I've only had one package shipped to me this way, but the result was fantastic....nice plane shipped fast with absolutely no damage of any kind.

rcmergler

New to GSN!
you will be very pleased with how this thing flys, tracks as good as the 102 and the 3d ability of it is amazing. good things have been coming from the red lions so far, i suggest it to anyone looking for a new 50cc class motor