• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Official Precision Aerobatics Ultimate AMR Thread

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
It's a bit quiet over here in the PA forum so I thought I'd start a thread on the Ultimate AMR.

I've had my AMR for nearly two years now it's a quirky little bipe which you will love or hate. Yeah like all bipes it's got some coupling issues and has a few little build details like impossible battery access 'fall off if you look at' it tailwheel, plus those nasty PA pushrods consisting of bits of wire tied to the end of c/f rods:rolleyes:... But non of that stuff matters when you fly it, it's just a heap of fun and it grows on you the longer you own it, it's a model with real character. This is my one model that goes to the field every trip.

Here is the info from PA:

Specifications
Wing span - 40 inch / 1014mm
Length - 43.08 inch / 1095mm
Wing area - 582.4 sq inch
AUW (ready to fly including battery) per our last prototype ~ 38.45oz / 1089gr
Wing loading - approx 9.5oz sq ft!!
Drive System
Motor: PA Thrust 40 brushless outrunner
ESC: PA Quantum 45A ESC
Servos: 4 Micro servos 1.6kg/cm torque
Lipo pack: PA 3S 2,200mAh
Prop: VOX wooden 13x6.5 or 14x7

Precision Aerobatics Ultimate AMR
The Bipe with bite!

If you demand high performance precision flying, high energy 3D/freestyle aerobatics, extremely light and rigid Biplane, the Ultimate AMR is the machine of choice for you.
Forget what you have heard about bipes..Hard to handle? Stalls easily? a handful to land? well CERTAINLY NOT WITH THIS ONE. Many months of design, testing and experimentation brought about this exceptional model.

The new Ultimate AMR features the revolutionary FiberFusion® construction making it the lightest electric built up Biplane produced to date in this size – about 38.45oz ready to fly (!!!) yet is rigid enough to withstand the most extreme high energy maneuvers we know you will be tempted to try!

FiberFusion® is an engineered construction method, combining carbon fiber, balsa and ply in a way never seen before, utilizing the strengths of the fibers within each raw material, with the end result being lighter, stronger, more rigid aircraft that fly like nothing else!

The Ultimate AMR is easily transportable and will fit in any backseat of a car without the hassle of removing the wings. The wings are still removable for convenience of storage if desired.

Many months of testing and experimentation led to the design of a new airfoil specifically created for this airframe in order to achieve the pre-determined performance we had set. The unique aileron design enhances aerodynamic airflow and control efficiency. To complement the Ultimate AMR performance and CG – we had to design a new brushless motor the PA Thrust 40. The combination of the AMR unique design, exclusively designed airfoil, and our new Thrust 40 motor gives the feel of flying on a 4S pack with unlimited vertical performance although it is only using 3S 2200mAh 20c Lipo pack, without making any compromises on any maneuver or on flight duration and without having to make a costly investment in expensive battery packs essential on other heavier biplanes!

The PA Ultimate AMR is built using finest grade material, all cut by state-of-the-art laser and CNC machines and pre-assembled by our own skilled factory staff. In order to attain uniform performance for each and every model produced, we produce the planes on highly precise jigs. Each set of wings are matched individually to each fuselage (this is something most factories don’t do even in giant scales production).
We assemble each airframe before shipping to ensure wing incidence, alignment and fit. All you need to do is bolt on the wings.
The ailerons (as well as the stab/elevators) are already pre-hinged with the gaps sealed and as such assembling the wing is quick and easy.
We have thoroughly researched full size Ultimate versions as well as experimental modified aircraft and although you will not find a similar full size Ultimate, the PA Ultimate AMR is an extremely scale looking Ultimate with a unique PA touch.

Although the Ultimate AMR looks stunning on the ground, its performance in the air will be the one that will simply blow your mind. From quick paced high energy, jaw dropping aerobatics all the way down to slow graceful 3D, the AMR does it all and it really up to you to set the pace.

On high rates, the handling is crisp and lightning quick response. It will lock in Knife Edge at any angle of attack and at any speed. Both upright and inverted harriers (a disability in many other bipes) are stable and rock-free while the hovers are vertical and easy to control. Torque rolls are simply beautiful to watch and the 4 huge ailerons provide adequate authority to torque in the opposite direction on demand. As for the flat spins:- How’s flat for you?
On high rates the PA Ultimate AMR is an excellent tumbling machine able to perform extremely tight waterfalls, spins, violent snaps etc that is would make it a hot pilot’s dream come true. The lightning fast axial roll rate provided by the 4 huge ailerons coupled with the rigid construction of the airframe give the Ultimate AMR the ability to execute violent axial Knife edge spins, high speed blenders, lomcevaks and insane tumbles that will bring your excitement to a whole new level.

Although the Ultimate AMR is an unlimited 3D/Freestyle beast, switching the dual rates onto low rates sets it’s personality to smooth, precision IMAC or sports style flying you would get the distinct impression that it’s flying on rails. Rolls are axial, well balanced and could be easily performed slow and persistent. Long fast turns are very accurate and without adverse yaw or loss of attitude and beautiful straight lines. Four point rolls and eight point rolls are simply beautiful.

Worried about of landing? Forget what you have heard before about bipes. The PA Ultimate AMR is probably the easiest biplane to land. It practically lands itself at any speed without the risk of wing stall. It is easy to grease a landing without the need for speed or long runways. You can even land during a harrier.

In the words of the Ultimate AMR designer: This plane will challenge you and allow you to perform many new maneuvers that other planes just don’t allow. It’s you getting used to the plane, squeezing the juice out of it that makes it so exciting.

In line with PA’s tradition, this fine model spells QUALITY from the design to the construction, the hardware and the level of finish - the attention to detail is second to none.

Available in three striking colors the Ultimate AMR looks simply awesome in the sky. The two wings allow easy orientation in flight.

This plane is nearly complete and has very little left for you to do:

We assemble each airframe before shipping to ensure wing incidence, alignment and fit. All you need to do is bolt on the wings!!
Wings and ailerons are pre-hinged and sealed in the factory!
Horizontal stabilizer and elevator are pre-hinged and sealed in the factory!
CNC machined CF cabane and struts tabs are pre installed in the wings accurately in the factory.
CA hinges already pre-glued on the rudder side.
Horizontal stabilizer with the elevator pre-hinged and sealed.
Fiberglass cowling is pre cut and is reinforced with carbon fiber. Its aerodynamic design allows air to flow in and cool the motor, battery and ESC for maximum setup efficiency. Two air scoops are also included in the kit.
Prefabricated and pre-painted tinted canopy and hatch as one integral unit attached to the model with very strong magnets.
Pre-drilled robust Carbon Fiber landing gear and pre-installed blind nuts in the fuselage for quick installation.
Pre assembled and glued motor box with the correct thrust angles already built in (taking away the guess work).
Pre-drilled FiberFusion® firewall is ready for Thrust 40 outrunner installation.
Pre-cut painted fiberglass wheel pants (optional carbon wheel pants are available)
Semi-fabricated heavy duty Carbon fiber push rods.
Pre-drilled Carbon fiber control horns.
Pre-installed battery and RX Velcro fasteners.
Pre-assembled tail wheel.

The brief assembly is a joy and most modellers will have it set up in one evening in-spite of the two wings! We have also included a deflection gauge to ensure precise control deflection is easily achieved to attain the designed handling characteristics.

Features

Airfoiled vertical stabilizer
Will fit in the backseat of your car without the need of removing the wings!

All new Fiberfusion® technology
The lightest Biplane in its class (top performance and most economic set up!)
Huge control surfaces
State of the art laser cut light ply, balsa and carbon fiber construction
3 striking color schemes to choose from
Top quality hardware kit
Easily accessible battery tray (no need to turn the model upside down to change the pack)
Tail servos location to you choice (left or right)

Carbon fiber features
(our carbon fiber is imported from Japan and all parts produced in-house)

CF FiberFusion® construction throughout
CF CNC machined wing cabane
CF heavy duty pushrods and aileron ganging rods
CF firewall locker
CF Leading edge
CF reinforced cowling
CF CNC machined battery tray
CF CNC machined control horns
CF pre installed elevator trailing edge reinforcement
CF reinforcement in the wing servo bays
CF quality pre-drilled landing gear
CF anti-rotation wing pins (pre-installed in the factory)
Wings feature state of the art construction with double spar CF reinforced
CF CNC machined cabane and struts tabs (pre installed accurately in the wings).

Optional upgrades:

Carbon fiber wheel pants
CNC machined carbon fiber Ultimate style spinner (super lightweight specially designed for the Ultimate AMR).
CNC machined carbon fiber servo arms for full deflection and correct linkages geometry

Here's mine when it was first build nearly two years back, it's been patched up a bit since but still looks just as good:

Attachments

• DSCN1040.jpg
    DSCN1040.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,624
Last edited by a moderator:

mtwargo

30cc
Well, I have to agree about the awesome plane I love to fly... but although, the bipe part makes battery access a it tighter than the others... The pushrods and tailwheel are really solid features that have endured many models and versions because they work very very well. They just don't fail like a lot of methods, and the tail wheel, when installed right really works well and is very light. JUst my 2 cents, but all PA planes that size use the same methods and all mine are in really great shape.

With that said... the AMR is an amazing plane! Flies like an extra and unlike any other bipe! I have my own love affair with it.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, I have to agree about the awesome plane I love to fly... but although, the bipe part makes battery access a it tighter than the others... The pushrods and tailwheel are really solid features that have endured many models and versions because they work very very well. They just don't fail like a lot of methods, and the tail wheel, when installed right really works well and is very light. JUst my 2 cents, but all PA planes that size use the same methods and all mine are in really great shape.

With that said... the AMR is an amazing plane! Flies like an extra and unlike any other bipe! I have my own love affair with it.

As you know Michael, you were the very reason I bought my AMR. Great plane, but I've since let it go as I've moved up to larger airplanes. I sold my AMR to another pilot in my club, and so I still get to see it gracefully streaking across the Nevada desert. Here are the pics of mine (now his) and some of the mods that I did.

First, me and my bipe: LVSC Pic 1.JPGUltimate AMR Bipe.jpg

Next, I made some mods, so first, I modified the battery tray for easier access:bipe 9.jpgbipe 10.jpg

Then, I added more strips to the bottom for better visibility and orientation: bipe 7.jpg

I also backed out my elevator a tiny bit, and shaved a little of the fuse around the elevator so I could get max deflection for tumbles: bipe 1.jpgbipe 3.jpg

And finally, I attached some reinforcements to the motor box as I used a slightly more powerful motor than the recommended thrust motor bipe 4.jpgbipe 5.jpg

Overall, this plane looks awesome in the air, flies precision very well, and is one of the easiest planes to land that I've ever flown.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Regarding the battery access... It's not really the top wing that is the main problem. It's the braces across the top of the formers that run directly over the battery leaving only a few mm clearance. The battery needs to be slid in under the cross braces meaning you cant use velcro. The fix is to cut out the top brace and either reinforce the former like Gyro did on his or make the cross brace removable like i did on mine. It's a reasonably easy fix.

On the pushrods, yeah they 'work' but there is no adjustability for length and over time slop develops in the servo arm and horn holes, meaning the surfaces become sloppy. Ball links are a much better solution IMHO at the expense of only a couple of grams. As for the tailwheel... hmmmm.

Like I said, none of these things spoil the model, it's a classic.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Nice flying Mike. You can embed your video by pasting your link into the little box that pops up when you click on the little film icon toward the right side of the menu bar in the editor.

njswede

150cc
I know I've said it before, but I love your style of flying, Michael! That's how I want to fly when I grow up! :)

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hey guys! great forum! good to see new alternatives! :)

Here is a few videos of my Ultimate AMR, i really think bipes are special and they look and fly completely different to monoplanes, and thats the cool thing about them! the roll is so axial and beautiful, plus this one tumbles really good too!

https://vimeo.com/5173824

https://vimeo.com/5846942

These vids were also very nice. Sorry I didn't have a chance to look at them right away. Nice flying!