• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Off the beaten path... But I have that itch again!!

Bipenut53

150cc
Oh yes it is lol and I don't mind it at all!! It's a great hobby for me because I enjoy the flying for sure but I also enjoy the people I've met and fly with

cam4569

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=3348]Bipenut[/MENTION] I will second that, I have met some great people so far, very helpful and always willing to lend a hand or give some advice when ask. That and every flight is a challenge so far, which keeps my interest.

Bipenut53

150cc
[MENTION=3348]Bipenut[/MENTION] I will second that, I have met some great people so far, very helpful and always willing to lend a hand or give some advice when ask. That and every flight is a challenge so far, which keeps my interest.

Oh and there will always be that challenge, or at least for me it has been. I still push myself and what I perceive as a failure in maneuvers... What makes us better

dontag

30cc
I have a lot of new friends from this hobby. I have helped many. The. Odd thing is that I load up the truck aith 2. Or 3 planes batteries charger etc enough to fly for days. Get to the feild stay 5 hours. Talk help others and relise on the way home I only got 2 flights. Love. It

Bipenut53

150cc
Yep!! Same here, we live out in the middle of nowhere and we don't have a club. We are 8-10 guys that go tour friends private airstrip and fly there. I belong to a club but its 100 miles away, when I go there I try to fly more but its great to just shoot the breeze with some other guys lol... Part of the hobby.

I got a Cox PT-19 for my birthday when I turned 8 in the early 70's. Took my dad about 3 Sunday's to get the motor started and to keep running before we could get it in the air long enough for it to go around about a third of a circle, pitch up and self destruct in the Kraft parking lot down the street. A couple years later after we moved to the Madi WI area, we built an Andrews H-Ray. However the closest official flying field was about 30 minutes away, and the house we lived in butted up to a mostly open city park. I built a 1/2A profile mustang. To be continued.

Bipenut53

150cc
I got a Cox PT-19 for my birthday when I turned 8 in the early 70's. Took my dad about 3 Sunday's to get the motor started and to keep running before we could get it in the air long enough for it to go around about a third of a circle, pitch up and self destruct in the Kraft parking lot down the street. A couple years later after we moved to the Madi WI area, we built an Andrews H-Ray. However the closest official flying field was about 30 minutes away, and the house we lived in butted up to a mostly open city park. I built a 1/2A profile mustang. To be continued.

Sounds very familiar lol

dontag

30cc
All this talk about the cox pt 19 and the memory I have Just got me to look for one. So I just went on Ebay and looked. Wow. Bids up to 100.00 I think they only went for 19.95 in the day. For that It will only be a memory. lol.

Bipenut53

150cc
Lol yeah not worth much more than 20 bucks... But I am looking at doing one.... Almost pulled the trigger on another Ringmaster..... Almost, I just hate to crash it first time out

Continued.

The park was a lot more convenient and allowed for more flying time. But rc seemed more appealing. The people in the Madison club were amazing. From Roger "Bill" Kettle, the man who trained both my father and myself along with countless other people, to AMA hall of famer Owen Kampen, who had many planes published by magazines like RCM, and kitted by Ace rc and Romey Bukholt who was Concept Models, the maker of one of the first quarter scale kits. I still have one of the last Travelaire kits made before he passed. There were so many others too.

Then there was all the different activities that the club did. Fun flies, 1/2A racing, combat, waterflies etc. just about anything to get people involved. Displays at the malls in the winter for public awareness, the kind of positive things you want to see.

Anyway, my father is now suffering from dementia but still remembers flying airplanes and is a way to connect with him when there's nothing else to bring him out. Last year I was able to coordinate with the club in Manitowoc and take him out to the field there. He still talks about that, seems that it's one of the few things that really sticks in his mind.