• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

noob looking for advice

njswede

150cc
The Edge is a great beginner plane, but you may outgrow it faster than the Slick. You can't go wrong with either one.

njswede

150cc
You won't outgrow the Slick at all. I know some really good pilots who always have one in the car for impromptu flights. It's a bit more expensive and requires more expensive gear if I recall correctly.

ive already got some components that i think would be suitable for the 42" slick.
3x savox sh-0257 (need to order one more) they are 2.1g heavier than the hitec 5065mg with the same torque but quite a bit faster
A YGE 60amp LV esc (35g) with sbec @5.5v i know this is over kill but i have it sat around and its a fantastic esc i bought it for a 500 class heli.
ive got load of 2200 batteries from my trex 450 that i will replace with 1800mah in the future. At the moment im looking for longer flight times for practicing.
For the motor im thinking of going with is a 4-max pppo-3530-1100 (1100kv 345w 45A 90g) its there equivalent of the hacker a30-16m (1060kv) with a 11x5.5 prop (as recommended).

What other prop sizes would be good for this sort of setup and why?

[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] thanks for that buddy ive found that motor on amazon.

just finalising my shopping list, what size spinner fits on the slick?

another question guys ive been looking around at props and seen plastic and wooden what are the pros and cons of each, cost aside.

I would go with the Katana Mini or MD. I had the Katana MX and I learned 3D on that for 3 years with over 1500 flights on it. After the fire wall finally broke down, I didn't hesitate to get a new one. That series of planes fly insanely well and are really good for learning 3D.