• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

noob looking for advice

im looking into getting a new model that i can grow into, after a lot of research i have narrowed it down to 4 that i can get hold of in the UK.

Im looking for one that is a good all rounder so that i can practice precision and eventually move on to 3D.

The 4 that fall within budget are:

3DHS 41" edge
3DSH 42" slick
PA katana mini
PA katana MD

At the moment i have found all 4 that are in stock in various hobby shops in the UK.

If anyone has and suggestions of hobby shops in europe that stock other brands recommendations are very welcome.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
They are all great choices but I personally like the slick as i think it's a great performer! Just my preference though as you will eventually develop your own preference from experience you will gain! Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice, those 4 are pretty dang good!

BTW kuddos to you for posting a noob question! I know on some forums it can be met with some rather less than helpful responses. I think you will find all the guys (and girls) here are more than willing to help with any question regardless of what it is.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
42 Slick all the way. Can't speak for the PA models although a club member has a couple and he complains they are built too light. I much prefer the 42 over the 41. You mentioned precision, the 42 is definitely more precise. Contrary to AKfreak, I found the 42 was more locked in post stall. Perhaps something to consider, the 41 will be most durable by far, it's built like a tank.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
No wrong choices here.

I advise that you show pictures of all to your wife/significant other and let them pick the one they think is prettiest. Will buy you some flying time grace down the road. As you load it into the car, look her in the eye and say " that is a beautiful airplane you chose for me - thanks"

;-)

Thanks for the input guys. Out of the four my favourite is the slick (looks alone).

Theres no point asking the other half, she will say none of them are pink.

So I will order a slick after the weekend.

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Edge or Slick will suit you well, the PA stuff is nice but its a B*&%@# to repair if you crash, and part of learning is crashing :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Had the 41" Edge as my first balsa plane. it served me well... great plane.

that said, as I improved, I enjoyed the 42" slick MUCH more.

If you can power through a slightly steeper learning curve, the 42" Slick will bring you much more pleasure in the long run.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I currently have the 3DHS 41" Edge....it flies well with no bad habits in the air. It flies super light!!! Over all a great plane:thumbup: