• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New ZDZ112 B2RV / Installation into PAU Edge 540

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well, title kinda sums it up. Been following this one for some time now since I had heard that ZDZ distributorship was going to change hands to www.zdzusa.com The new owner of that was good enough to come all the way to the Corn Huck in Council Bluffs IA a few weeks ago and we and an amazing time. I decided I had to have one of these new shiny pieces of artwork and after reading all the data that @tbrum has posted on countless exhaust and props for the 112.......I knew I had to check it out for myself.

If you don't know Trevor he is on the Canadian sites mostly but check out his youtube page and check out all the sweet things he does and there are lots of vids with the ZDZ112. @Bdegan also has quite a few vids of this engine on youtube that are pretty fun to watch. Here is a cool one:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
So I un-boxed and checked out the contents. Since all of this is pretty sudden the new engines came and there was supposed to be some machined throttle and choke arms included that did not make the shipping date. I think he said they come from Germany and are on their way ASAP.

So just to get a head start on all the posts that are going to say "I had the XX ZDZ small engine and it was a bastard to start" I am hear to say I DID TOO!!!! However, from watching the 90, 112 and larger I'm not seeing it so far. I got to fly a 50% cap with a 210 in it and it was smother than most 35% planes with a 120cc on the nose. Amazing fluid power. I'm excited to try it.

So a few observations from the couple ZDZ's that I had in the past:
1 - Standard CM-6 plugs!!!! Thank Goodness!! No special plugs to find or funky caps with allen set screws:banana-dance:
2 - Beautifully machined crank case that is a work of art. Being an engineer I looked at the tooling path, the chamfered edges on holes, radius and fillets on all exposed edges, etc. Very nicely done and well thought out.
3 - A genuine Walbro carb!!!!:fist_pump:
4 - I could not get a pic of the inside and I'm not going to take it apart but the inside components are a work of art as well. It also uses all high quality sealed bearings and roller bearings.

Here are a few pics for reference of un-packing:

image011.jpg
image006.jpg

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 387
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 403
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 580
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 407
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 427
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 419
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 412
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 385
  • image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 442
  • image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 401
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Pretty much one given thing with any rear carb engine being reed or rotary valve.....there is likely to be at least some drip or back-spitting form teh carb at least some point in it's operation. I picked up a velocity stack from TBM that fits the carp perfectly.

I also verified that the prop bolt pattern is standard to all common DA, DLE, EME etc. 100-120cc engines. I will be doing some prop experimenting so I also filled up on my supply of prop bolts. I replace my prop bolts every 4 times I change a prop because of expansion and potential to snap the bolts. This is probably over-kill but I've never had one break on me yet either:)

Attachments

• image016.jpg
    image016.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 382
  • image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 425
  • image018.jpg
    image018.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 404
  • image020.JPG
    image020.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 413

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I plan to do a video of the very first starup when it has not seen fuel at all. With luck that will turn out. I'll also do vids of subsequent startups from cold to show the "process" ;)