• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New to 3D

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Hello. I am new to 3D flying. So new I wouldn't even call myself a .5D pilot yet. I got into RC in the early 80s while stationed in Mississippi and then got out of it when I moved to Germany in the mid 80s. Last summer I got the bug and got back into the hobby. BIG TIME! I love it, can't get enough of it. I have several warbirds and at first I was skeptical of this 3D thing. I now have a RedwingRC 50cc Yak 55 and a Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon that just beg to get tossed around the sky. I fly with Alamo RCS in San Antonio and you can find me there just about every weekend.

I look forward to learning from those of you here and am glad to find a site dedicated to 3D that prides itself on being user friendly.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey welcome Bill! Great to have ya and if we are going by a scale I would be pretty close to the .5d myself regardless of my user name! Ha ha! Welcome!!!

Bipenut53

150cc
LOL Mike...
Welcome Bill!! Congrats on your airplanes, two great planes there!! Glad to hear you are involved in a club, some club guys can be a wealth of information!! Some are just there to hear themselves talk lol I was in the San Antonio area back when I was in basic but I did get a chance to spend some time in the city of San Antonio and really enjoyed myself. Loved the river walk and the Alamo, I know tourist traps but I had fun.
Again Welcome!!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Welcome to the forum Bill and welcome back to a changed and exciting hobby. I'm a re- entrant as well (4 years in now and thoroughly addicted!). Nice planes. Hope there are a few EPP foamies in the hangar along with a sim. Those two things alone can exponentially (ha, Tx pun!) increase your 3 D abilities. Tons of great stuff here and many willing to help. Have fun and post often. Pics and vids always a plus

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Thank you for the welcome! I have foamies and a simulator. Been using the simulator to learn the moves. Applying what I learned out at the field (many mistakes high). None of my foamies are very good 3D birds. Guess I need to fix that. We have some 3D guys in the club but only one comes out regularly so I team up with him when I can.

Bipenut53

150cc
You ought to think about the Twisted hobbys Crack Yak series, very good durable epp foam airplanes that are great 3D trainers and wont break the bank and are great fun to fly, I have the 32" and the 39" Crack Yaks. I really enjoy the 39" because it really flys like a balsa model.... Just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
You ought to think about the Twisted hobbys Crack Yak series, very good durable epp foam airplanes that are great 3D trainers and wont break the bank and are great fun to fly, I have the 32" and the 39" Crack Yaks. I really enjoy the 39" because it really flys like a balsa model.... Just a thought

(1) 39" Crack Yak has been ordered.