• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

New Product E-flite Edge 540QQ 280

Product DescriptionKey Features

• Hollow-molded foam construction with carbon fiber reinforcement
  • High-speed digital servos and Spektrum™ Nanolite receiver installed
  • High-power BL280, 1800Kv outrunner power system installed
  • High-performance custom propeller and matching spinner
  • Two-piece removable wing with carbon fiber joiner
  • Magnetic battery hatch provides instant access
  • Ready-to-bind to your DSM2®/DSMX® transmitter

Overview
The E-flite® Edge 540QQ 280 BNF Basic, designed by aerobatic world champion Quique Somenzini, has been specifically built to provide exceptional precision scale and 3D aerobatic performance so that you can fly from a convenient location such as a park or small field. Beyond the rigid carbon fiber-reinforced foam construction, you’ll appreciate how its expert-approved control and power system features are installed to make it possible for you to get flying faster.

Needed To Complete

• A 4+ channel DSM2- or DSMX-compatible transmitter with computer programming
  • 3S 11.1V 450mAh 30C Li-Po battery
  • Battery charger for flight battery

Eflite-Edge.jpg
micro-edge-540qq-280-bnf-basic8770.jpg

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/edge-540qq-280-bnf-basic-EFL6250

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I'm really excited... The only new planes I have purchased have been from 3DHS over the past 4 years... This was the exception.

I usually spend a ridiculous amount of time pouring over the details of the bird I'm thinking about getting, read the manuals, read reviews, mod threads... What have you. What can I say? A little picky I, and am addicted to the Slick airframe in particular.

As soon as I saw the video for this plane I preordered. I don't even remember making the choice. The question is why: I think this sucker is going to be a niche-filler. I could be wrong, but... I love the idea of micros, but something get's a little lost in translation when I fly them. Maybe it's mass. I don't know - but this edge looks really purposeful to me.

Let's dish.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
It looks even better in person! I saw Seth Arnold fly it this past weekend at the JR indoor and it looks cool, but even with Seth behind the sticks it looked like a micro.

It's just so small. You don't hear people saying: "smaller flies better!" I just can't imagine that it's going to fly good enough to turn heads.

gyro

GSN Contributor
It looks even better in person! I saw Seth Arnold fly it this past weekend at the JR indoor and it looks cool, but even with Seth behind the sticks it looked like a micro.

It's just so small. You don't hear people saying: "smaller flies better!" I just can't imagine that it's going to fly good enough to turn heads.

Do you think it flies good enough to enjoy it versus other options, or do you think the 32" foamies are a better bet for indoor practice?

so you bring up an interesting point: a micro is a micro is a micro. Totally agree with you and that is basically why I sort of gave up on the platform for awhile...

If you go to an airfield and you have an 103" extra, and a micro sitting next to it... What are you going to get the most stick time on, what are people probably going to ask about more?: The biggie. In the air they are majestic - there is something based purely on size, which a micro, by its namesake, will never be able to achieve. Air presence, the filling of more space, the neglect of affects of wind and conditions... Etc.

But Moose, for those days when you don't want to go to the field... I am ready to forget about presence. I will settle for stability and performance.

Before last year I gave up on smaller airframes. Then a 42 slick fell in my lap. Do folks comment that much on it - no, not compared to the 89, but the stability and performance is pretty incredible. If we get even partly close to that with this little guy, I'll be enamored..

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
I think this little guy will be perfect for the smaller school field we fly at occasionally where the 40in size planes just feel too big and I just want to fly something more than the flat foamies.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
When I say "turn heads" I mean...will it fly so good people will take notice and buy one...

My point is that I can't imagine it will fly better then the flat foamies. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I'm just saying that I saw it...it looks really sharp in person...I'm just not interested in one because I don't think it'll fly good.

I'll be happy to be wrong in this case, I'm just sharing my thoughts from flying a lot of smaller airplanes.

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Yah moose I think it'll still fly closer to a ultramicro as far as being bounced around in the breeze and stuff. I think it'll be great for those nice calm nights. Don't know though I've only seen a couple of videos. For the price in my opinion it's going to be worth a shot. And if it doesn't fly as well as it looks well I gave it a shot. Lol.

When I say "turn heads" I mean...will it fly so good people will take notice and buy one...

My point is that I can't imagine it will fly better then the flat foamies. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I'm just saying that I saw it...it looks really sharp in person...I'm just not interested in one because I don't think it'll fly good.

I'll be happy to be wrong in this case, I'm just sharing my thoughts from flying a lot of smaller airplanes.

Totally Moose... What you have said makes alot of sense. I'm just hoping that they do fly well! :tongue: