• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Moving to High Voltage

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
What are you all currently using to power your HV system? Lipo or Li-on? I am purchasing a 35% PAU 300SP and will use Savox 1270TG servos with HV Futaba receiver. What brand and size do you recommend? I have been using A123 in all my other planes with great success, now, I want to try HV. Let's here your recommendations!!

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
I use the Lion and lipo.

With both I got no problem.

Pros and cons both have, Lion is much safer to charge on board and are smaller but gives "only" 8c. Lipo you MUST charge off board and are bigger but can give you ridicules C.

No matter what, I use a voltage regulator(Fromeco) to lower them from 8.4 to 7.4 Constance, first it flattened the curve no glitches second it protect the servos and keep them safe from heavy wear and tear, third it gives you constant voltage to the servos so you fly the plane always same with no losing its characteristics.

With Lipo 6000 mAh and 35c on 175cc 44lb plane and 13 HV servos it gives you 10 flights before it gets to 7.4v

On Lion about 7.

Torquerolljoe;6180 wrote: What are you all currently using to power your HV system? Lipo or Li-on? I am purchasing a 35% PAU 300SP and will use Savox 1270TG servos with HV Futaba receiver. What brand and size do you recommend? I have been using A123 in all my other planes with great success, now, I want to try HV. Let's here your recommendations!!

Been strictly HV for the past 5 years. I have used LiOn and LiPo. I've settled on LiPo because that is what I'm comfortable with using. I have been using LiPo for ~14 years. All my batteries in my current airplanes are Glacier 2S Rx LiPo 3600 mAh. I burn ~ 350mAh/flight/pack. I'm not a big fan of charging at the field, hence why I went with larger packs.

My new 108" Corvus will be getting the Savox treatment as well.... 1270 on Aileron and Rudder, 2270 on Elevators and 1267 on throttle. Granted, don't need 277 oz of torque on throttle, but I'm liking the speed of the servo for throttle. .09 transit is what I like.

You'll get varying opinions. Take each opinion, frankenstein it into your own! :)

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
Thanks for the information!! I have decided on Lipos as I am comfortable with them as well. I will be trying the Glacier packs!

Patroller

70cc twin V2
On my 78" Extra I am using two 2600mah thunder power LIPO's.

On my 104" Extra I am using two 3600mah thunder power LIPOS's.

Both planes are relatively new so I purchased HV servos to start. I also am using Spectrum Powersafe receivers in both planes. I am very impressed with this setup. I have A123 in my large slimer, but I am not happy with the inability to check the battery between flights. I love the reliability of LIPO's in the large planes and removing the batteries for charging is not an issue if I plan on that while setting up the plane.

Alky6

150cc
Torquerolljoe;6511 wrote: Thanks for the information!! I have decided on Lipos as I am comfortable with them as well. I will be trying the Glacier packs!

I have had very good luck with the glacier packs and great service from EP Buddy - now BuddyRC.

Alky6

150cc
Patroller;6519 wrote: On my 78" Extra I am using two 2600mah thunder power LIPO's.

On my 104" Extra I am using two 3600mah thunder power LIPOS's.

Both planes are relatively new so I purchased HV servos to start. I also am using Spectrum Powersafe receivers in both planes. I am very impressed with this setup. I have A123 in my large slimer, but I am not happy with the inability to check the battery between flights. I love the reliability of LIPO's in the large planes and removing the batteries for charging is not an issue if I plan on that while setting up the plane.
+1 (on the 78")

I have been experimenting with my 40% H9 Sukhoi between 2 Fromeco 5200 MAH Li-ons and 2 5000 Pulse Lipo's. The telemetry does show a difference in in flight voltage. However not a huge difference. During a very hard snap (for testing purposes) which is probably the most aggressive I have been with my IMAC only plane voltage does drop about a volt with lipo's and 1.5V with the Li-ons. It also seems like I may also use more MAH with the LIPOs however I cannot say that is factual at this time. But my set up a JR XG11 radio with a JR 11 channel power buss receiver. When I fly my H9 extra 300 hard I will see voltage down to 5.5V sometimes with genuine Fromeco A123's with the same receiver. I have been thinking of going HV on that plane now.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
I'll 3rd that. I have the Glacer 2S receiver packs on my 91 Yak and Extra. I'm not charging Lipo in my planes either, so I just made mounts that are easy to get to, and Velcro in place. I have no complaints about Glacer.