• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MOJO 65 w/20cc Build

Alky6

150cc
It seems like unless you really scrutinize weight when building the plane comes out around 9 lbs, yet some say their is a lot lighter. They must shave everything down on it. If you use quality wood I am guessing the light weight goal is difficult to achieve.
Could be, but I am looking to totally change the materials of the construction of the fuse. Basically a composite structure, with no wood, no fiberglass tubes. Didn't want to attempt any changes until after flying as designed and seeing how the weight comes out. I tend to be very methodical with changes, especially those which I may know little about. Call it the engineer in me. I may end up changing the power plant, but who knows... I am pretty green with the whole 3D realm.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
OOOO the carbon MOJO!! I dream't of this idea many a time. Mostly with the tail to stiffin it up though. It would be hard to keep the weight down on a 20cc version, maybe a 35cc would be a fun size for a profile carbon mojo... I like the idea of a carbon fuse and tail section personally, they are the ones that really get beat up anyways.

BalsaDust

To build it light in my opinion just build it like any other profile out there. Get rid of all the ply, that wonky wing tube mount in the fuse, drop from two 3/8 tubes to one 1/2 tube mounted just below where the wing tube goes through the fuse, and stick build the rest of it like a normal profile. I personally think I could build that plane down to between 7 and 7-1/2 pounds.

caf2461

50cc
Or just build a Mojo or Primo 60 and run the DLE 20 on it. 6 1/4 - 7 lbs, still floaty and a blast under power. They both are more fun and a better combo for a 20cc anyway. :)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I like torque and thrust or "beast power". I have a new description for the "insane" power types......"Hummingbird" :on_the_go:.

So.....The 26cc I mated with an 18 x 8 and flying an 11 pound plane has "Authority" in hover pull outs but not "ballistic".

Unlimited vertical as well but at a more constant speed. Not "accelerating" vertical. I'll be honest.....I would end up in a "hole" (Literally) lot of trouble with such a "sensitive" throttle stick with these profiles. Obviously power / weight for "instant" gratification. Pun intended :big-grin:.

caf2461

50cc
I know what you mean. My 6.25 lb Mojo 60 with 120AX on Beer can pipe is sensitive on throttle and insane power. While it was fun for a while I do not seem to fly it much anymore. Wish I would have put the DLE20 on it. I have flown this combo and it is much more tractable and user friendly.

Alky6

150cc
To build it light in my opinion just build it like any other profile out there. Get rid of all the ply, that wonky wing tube mount in the fuse, drop from two 3/8 tubes to one 1/2 tube mounted just below where the wing tube goes through the fuse, and stick build the rest of it like a normal profile. I personally think I could build that plane down to between 7 and 7-1/2 pounds.
Might not be durable enough for my learning ;). Trade offs, hehe

Alky6

150cc
OOOO the carbon MOJO!! I dream't of this idea many a time. Mostly with the tail to stiffin it up though. It would be hard to keep the weight down on a 20cc version, maybe a 35cc would be a fun size for a profile carbon mojo... I like the idea of a carbon fuse and tail section personally, they are the ones that really get beat up anyways.
Shouldn't be a problem on the weight, though I agree the savings is more significant on a larger airframe. Think prepregs and honeycomb!