• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MOJO 65 w/20cc Build

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
So here is an update on the VV RCGF 26cc gas engine miss. This is unreal and several guys at the field were amazed at what was going on. So the only thing I had done to the plane before my last outing was put a small plastic extension on the exhaust down pipe to get some of the blather off the wings and fuse of the plane.

It is worse than glow and takes me quite some time to clean it up. Throws crap all over the fuse and really a mess on the right wing. I am sure the 3D tumbles and hovers just blow the junk everywhere. My thought was with the exhaust extension it would be a bit easier for me to clean which it did help big time.

The craziness of this was that I took the extension off just before flying Sunday evening and the engine miss quits and the runs like a clock! I know - it makes absolutely no sense at all. I have run these extensions before and never saw any major change like this, but when it is on this engine it starts a bad mid-range miss that sounds exactly like a bad plug or failing ignition unit. I could understand it if the extension was extremely long slightly affecting engine performance.

I guess I can play with the lengths of the plastic pipe now and see if that helps. :D

My buddies was doing the same thing at first when we had it on his Zlin 50. Suspected the ignition cap. Plane was evently lost due to suspected RFI. It was using the stock muffler at that time. I did his Edge build and installed a new A-02 Rcexl ignition and new pitts style muffler with a VVRC 18x6 prop. When we maiden the miss was not as bad but still there. We put a higher loading Xoar 18x8 beachwood on it and the miss is totally absent. The top end is not there like with the 18x6 but the torque and way better thrust is. Just IMO I think the RCGF 26cc likes to see a decent load. It is a little beast.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
My buddies was doing the same thing at first when we had it on his Zlin 50. Suspected the ignition cap. Plane was evently lost due to suspected RFI. It was using the stock muffler at that time. I did his Edge build and installed a new A-02 Rcexl ignition and new pitts style muffler with a VVRC 18x6 prop. When we maiden the miss was not as bad but still there. We put a higher loading Xoar 18x8 beachwood on it and the miss is totally absent. The top end is not there like with the 18x6 but the torque and way better thrust is. Just IMO I think the RCGF 26cc likes to see a decent load. It is a little beast.
Thanks for the info. My buddy put the 18x6 on his and it performs very nicely.

Mine has started to get broken in now and a lot less gunk throwing about except when I am getting totally wild on the sticks and throwing crap everywhere. One thing helped is that I was able to lean er out a tad, which I could not do before. I do need to upgrade the prop since I am still running the 17x6. I have just been very lazy and flying the wings off that sucker! I have no clue how this plane stays together. You can put it in about every possible position that can be imagined and somehow it seems to stay together. LOL

caf2461

50cc
Looks nice. I chose a similar scheme for my 20cc Sbach.

Attachments

• IMG_8950.jpg
    IMG_8950.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_8962.JPG
    IMG_8962.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_8952.jpg
    IMG_8952.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 285

Alky6

150cc
Thanks for the info. My buddy put the 18x6 on his and it performs very nicely.

Mine has started to get broken in now and a lot less gunk throwing about except when I am getting totally wild on the sticks and throwing crap everywhere. One thing helped is that I was able to lean er out a tad, which I could not do before. I do need to upgrade the prop since I am still running the 17x6. I have just been very lazy and flying the wings off that sucker! I have no clue how this plane stays together. You can put it in about every possible position that can be imagined and somehow it seems to stay together. LOL
Sweeeeet!!

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Thanks! Optimistically, 8.5 lbs. Realistically, closer to 9. Really looking forward to getting this in the air! Have some ideas on construction methods of the fuse to potentially shave a pound. Want to fly it for a bit first though!
It seems like unless you really scrutinize weight when building the plane comes out around 9 lbs, yet some say their is a lot lighter. They must shave everything down on it. If you use quality wood I am guessing the light weight goal is difficult to achieve.

BalsaDust

It seems like unless you really scrutinize weight when building the plane comes out around 9 lbs, yet some say their is a lot lighter. They must shave everything down on it. If you use quality wood I am guessing the light weight goal is difficult to achieve.

Depends on everyones version of quality wood. I personally try to build light so I look for the balsa that is closer to contest grade.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Thanks! Optimistically, 8.5 lbs. Realistically, closer to 9. Really looking forward to getting this in the air! Have some ideas on construction methods of the fuse to potentially shave a pound. Want to fly it for a bit first though!
I would be surprised if a DLE 20 would "tote the mail" if the plane comes it around 9 lbs. Mine was 9.1lbs and to me the DLE did not do the job to my satisfaction. Just seemed way too weak for my style of flying. Even the 26cc isn't a rocket, yet it will do the job good enough for me.

Certainly there are a lot of factors though and each person's experience can differ greatly. I sold the DLE 20 to my buddy and he put it on an Aerobeez profile (which I sold him too) and being a much lighter plane it flies that exceptionally well.