Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Let’s Talk Fuel Lines!

Discussion in 'Giant Scale News' started by GSNadmin, Apr 7, 2017.

1. AKNick

AKNick 100cc

Alaska
    I've seen that video before too. But every application is different, like for example a heavy clunk with soft tubing is more prone to kink/fold over, which is a reason in itself for adding a straw or copper tubing. This could happen in a negative G style maneuver (tail slide?) possibly as well. I've seen it happen where the plane noses over on the ground, and the clunk fall forward to the top of the tank. Just a extra measure of security.

pawnshopmike and stangflyer like this.
  2. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

Exactly. That is why I like the heavy clunk. 99% of the time, that clunk will always be in fuel.

4. Yakman

Yakman 70cc twin V2

Was out for a couple of flights this afternoon with my Edge 540, got all new Tygon lines last summer. At 39 degrees they seemed awful stiff. I need to look at line inside of fuel tank, since i fly during winter also.

5. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 150cc

Canada
    I agree with all you have said above but need to make one point I have at one time not made a very graceful landing and the fuel clunk got thrown to the front of the tank and it stayed there. After several dead stick landings I discovered that the clunk was stuck up front. And after shaking the plane up and down the clunk was free again and all was good. So when you do your flying do feel that the clunk drops to the front of the tank. Have you checked it. Now that I think of the size of tanks that you are using with those gorgeous redheads it probably has sufficient space to drop forwards and backwards.

stangflyer likes this.
  6. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

They do. Drop backwards that is. Part of it is also due to the size and weight of the clunk itself. I have tested many clunks. Some are large, yet have no weight to them. Some are just way too small to even consider. While others have an opening that not even a sewing needle could pass through. The Sullivan Super Klunks #S396 if I remember correctly... seem to do a really good job. That added to the size of the tank helps too. I will go so far as to say also, that most my planes are stored on their nose. Hence the clunks fall to the front of the tank. When I take one of them out flying, I make darned sure the clunk is back at the back of the tank before I even fuel the plane. I truly have considered the hard tube in the middle of the carb pick up line. I just keep coming back to the same things that have always been consistent. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". And the other being I have yet to ever have a problem so I am not going to alter it. In fact, I just built a brand new TDRC tank for the baby Yak last night. Yup, you guessed it...Sullivan Super Klunk with no hard line between the clunk and the cap fitting. Something else I have noticed. The tank in the Pitts is a smaller one. I think it is like 17 ounces. So the area is quite cramped for a clunk to fall forward. Unless of course you have a hard nose landing or what not.... But other than that, I stand it also on the nose and the clunk stays put. I dunno.... I see the logic behind the hard line. I just have a really-really hard time changing something that works.

Snoopy1 likes this.
  7. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 150cc

Canada
    BB948A84-299C-4EEE-8044-179F16317EDC.jpeg Ok this is some new gas fuel line that I was introduced to at JoeNall. Been using since early spring and up to now I believe it is best I have tried ie Tygon, Viton and a few others I must say up to now this is the best tubing I will be switching over to. It is not cheap.

stangflyer likes this.
  8. Reference fuel clunks I have been using Walbro Felt clunks in all my gassers . I was advised not to use the knockoff style or brands made in China. I have never had any problems since switching to the Walbro Felt clunks. I get them from ValleyViewRc they are around $5 per piece, a little pricey but I think it is well worth the money.

Snoopy1 likes this.
  9. AKNick

AKNick 100cc

Alaska
    The Sullivan S216 claims it it Fluoroelastomer, guess what Viton line is... Fluoroelastomer! It might be altered a bit, but I'm guessing it's Fluorelastomer died yellow with their chosen ID/OD.

10. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 150cc

Canada
    It my be a derivative of it or something but I have had Viton and this is similar but not the same I do prefer it up to now.

AKNick likes this.