• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Knife Edge tips.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
So in my progression of learning 3D I'm getting a lot better with my harrier and I'm working on inverted harrier. I'm playing with rollers too. My next task will be to work on my knife edge. What are some tips that some of you have?

njswede

150cc
Trim your plane and potentially add mixes to keep it as stable and free of coupling as possible. I recently found that this is the difference between flying knife edges in white-knuckled horror and effortlessly flying around with your plane in a knife edge. It takes some time and some effort, but it's SO worth it.

The other thing I recently understood is that the throttle is your friend. Unless you're trying to fly fancy high-alpha KE, you want to try to keep the plane in the air using the throttle rather than the rudder. The more rudder input you use, the more likely you are to suffer from coupling issues. At first, try three mistakes up at almost full throttle and you should be able to keep a 3D bird in the air with just a touch of rudder.

IMHO, "I suck" and all the other usual disclaimers... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
With the canopy/top of the plane toward you as you fly by, rudder stick goes toward the tail. Seems pretty basic I know, but it's one of those things the voices in my head always tell me when I get into KE.

Throttle managment controls altitude. Not the rudder.

Some people like to "cheat" the KE a bit by rolling the plane slightly inverted. That way they can mash the elevator down to fly out inverted if they get into trouble. I think Bonedoc did a vid on youtube about that one somewhere, but can't access that link right now.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Just to re-iterate what NJ said.. Program KE mixes for both rudder to elevator and rudder to aileron. Some planes don't need both but I've yet to find a model that doesn't benefit from at least one KE mix. The mixes may well be slightly different in left KE compared to right KE. It takes time to get them right but it really does make life so much easier.

Getting your KE mixes sorted also pays when it comes to point rolls and the like. if you can do rollers then KE should be child's play.

lugnutz

30cc
Just to re-iterate what NJ said.. Program KE mixes for both rudder to elevator and rudder to aileron. Some planes don't need both but I've yet to find a model that doesn't benefit from at least one KE mix. The mixes may well be slightly different in left KE compared to right KE. It takes time to get them right but it really does make life so much easier.

Getting your KE mixes sorted also pays when it comes to point rolls and the like. if you can do rollers then KE should be child's play.

yeah what you said,:cool:

Know the limits of the plane!

Some planes can go "Full Bang" on the rudder and just yaw... others are docile on rudder until suddenly.. SNAP'ola..

Learn if and where that threshold is with your plane....
Get a foamie... (DWFoamies JuKa or Yak 55) and practice with that....

http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/SX-Cable-2009.wmv

at about 1 minute... you can see the plane is totally docile in KE... THAT is what really helps learning KE.. knowing you have a plane that can be pushed and it won't do anything unpredictable!

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Know the limits of the plane!

Some planes can go "Full Bang" on the rudder and just yaw... others are docile on rudder until suddenly.. SNAP'ola..

I discovered just that on the weekend. Doing KE loops with my 51" AJ Slick and discovered it has a wicked snap out of KE if you use too much rudder. The 48" Edge and Laser EXP's on the other hand are totally predictable in KE, possibly the SFG's at play? I might reduce rudder throw a bit on the Slick to prevent the snap.

rcmergler

New to GSN!
the biggest thing when it comes to set up for ke flight is a proper cg location, if you are too tail heavy the plane will want to snap out of the knife edge and if its too nose heavy it will have bad coupling. i usually use a nutrual cg on all my planes and ke flight works good with this cg, i also fly with no mixes, learn to fly the sticks first and then later if you want go back and add mixes....doing this will make you a better pilot( start off high lol)

gyro

GSN Contributor
the biggest thing when it comes to set up for ke flight is a proper cg location, if you are too tail heavy the plane will want to snap out of the knife edge and if its too nose heavy it will have bad coupling. i usually use a nutrual cg on all my planes and ke flight works good with this cg, i also fly with no mixes, learn to fly the sticks first and then later if you want go back and add mixes....doing this will make you a better pilot( start off high lol)

good advice on the importance of CG, thanks Jake! I was practicing some KE on my 89 Slick today, which is balanced neutral, and I'm becoming more comfortable flying without the mixes... but still like how easy they make. I'll admit it will take some determination to take the harder route initially, but I can see how it'll pay dividends in the end.

By the way, nice to have you on the site and representing Ohio Model Products!

rcmergler

New to GSN!
gyro,

yes it does take some determination taking the harder road, the biggest time it pays dividends is when you go to fly someone elses plane with no mixes....if you practice with no mixes then you could grab the tx and rule the sky....would be completely different if you had all kinds of different mixes in your plane you fly everyday. everyone has their own take on it but this method was tought to me a long time ago and it has help me progress many times over the years. theres another side of mixes thats a whole other thread on its own lol so we wont go there. and thanks for the warm welcome, its great to be here and help out any way i can!!!