• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

JR 9503, radio set up for a servo on each aileron

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I've recently switched from a JR 9503 DSM2 to a DSMX and I'm trying get my Swift back in the air. It has two aileron servos, one is plugged into the aileron channel and the other aileron servo is plugged into the Flaps channel and it's been a while since I set this up so I'm starting from scratch to get it working again. There are a lot of different ways to run aileron servos, you can have one on one channel, two on one channel, two on separate channels acting only as aileron servos, you can have two on two channels acting as both ailerons and flaps (Flaperons), you can have four, six, eight.....it can get really complicated. Right now though, we're looking at two simple servos, one on one wing, the other on the other wing.

I'm searching for the instructions to mix the two channels so I figured I'd post it here for your reading enjoyment.

Here's the main page at Horizon.com for the radio and there's also a tab there with a download link for the user manual.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/x9503-2-4-heli-tx-with-r921x-rx-no-servos-md2-JRP2935X#t1

Every radio has different language so first you have to figure out what the function you're looking for is called and this can be the hardest part if you've recently switched from one brand to another. In this case JR calls two servos set up the way I described above, Flaperons.

The instructions start on page A-11.

Scrolling and clicking with the selector (I call it the scroll wheel, JR calls it the Selector) makes things happen.

There are two different Menu systems in the 9503, the Function List and the System Menu, hold the scrolling wheel down as you turn on the radio to enter the System Menu

Go to DeviceSEL

Use the scrolling wheel to highlight the bottom line under the word FLAP

attachment.php

Push the scrolling wheel, then push it again until the word INH appears, this will keep your ailerons from being inadvertently actuated as flaps

Now roll the scroll wheel back to the spot just above the .SYS that you just selected, press the scroll wheel until it says OFF

Click the button next to the word LIST on the left

Scroll down to the menu item Wing TYPE

Place the flashing cursor over the word Wing and click the Selector to open a window with three items

Scroll to FLAPERON and then select it with a click

That ought to be it for the setup. If you want to test to see if this did the trick, disconnect any control rods before powering up your radio system so that any mistakes you might have made won't cause damage to your plane if servos and stuff start going haywire.

When the servos are confirmed to be doing what you want and when you're pretty sure that you can safely attach the controls to the servos, get everything connected and power it all up. Adjust the controls as best you can to center the flying surfaces. You'll want your ailerons (in this case) to be as centered as possible before you start to tune things with the radio.

Turn on the radio like you normally would and then hit the LIST button on the left to get to the Function List. Scroll down and select Sub Trim. If you didn't look before you started there were AIL and FLAP items in the Sub Trim list. Now that you've configured your radio for Flaperons you'll see LAIL and RAIL. Left Aileron is where FLAP used to be and RAIL is where AIL used to be. That's because you can now tune your right and left ailerons separately using the channels for AIL and FLAP (but they are called LAIL and RAIL now). Select LAIL or RAIL and scroll the value up or down to set your ailerons perfectly centered and then hit enter the values by hitting the ENT button on the left.

There are other adjustments that can be made but this should have you over the hardest part. The rest can be explained in a future post or just ask and we'll keep going on aileron set up. There's differential, exponential plus if you want to get nuts you can also set up your ailerons to act as flaps and then program a mix to have your flaps move when you apply elevator. The control line stunt guys have been doing it for decades to make their corners really sharp when they're flying aerobatics. If you're just starting out, you've got enough info at this point to be a step closer to flying. You can always play with your radio's advanced features later on.

Bart

12987=6011-Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 1.33.48 PM.jpg
12987=6011-Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 1.33.48 PM.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I was used to doing it that way until I bought an 11X. In the instructions it listed doing it the same way (Flaperons) as the 9503 that I was used to. The problem was if you did it that way you only had aileron trim on one side. On the 11X you have to mate the to channels and use the normal wing configuration.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
There are so many little gotchas in this stuff....having the 9503 before the 11x probably helped you to get the trim snag figured out.

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
On the 9303/9503 its best practice, unless you need the flap function, to turn off the flapperons and just use the aileron mate.

ryan_m

100cc
also, if you had a 9503 and are simply moving to a new 9503, you could just copy all the models over via a trainer cable. The transfer function does this. Pretty easy to use, and then you just have to rebind. All settings, trims, subtrims and mixes will be copied to the new radio.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
BarracudaHockey;13002 wrote: On the 9303/9503 its best practice, unless you need the flap function, to turn off the flapperons and just use the aileron mate.

turning off the flaps is done by putting INH under the FLAP switch function, the first line after the picture. it's sooo easy to damage stuff by leaving the switches active.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
ryan_m;13006 wrote: also, if you had a 9503 and are simply moving to a new 9503, you could just copy all the models over via a trainer cable. The transfer function does this. Pretty easy to use, and then you just have to rebind. All settings, trims, subtrims and mixes will be copied to the new radio.

i sold it a while ago and I"m just getting around to getting my airplanes back in flying shape. the two foamies today flew great so I'm back to having a couple of park planes ready to fly. :)

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Hence, if you don't need the flap function, you set up the ailerons as mates to begin with.

The trims work, and you don't have to worry about switchology :)

Some team ding bat wrote up those instructions ages ago for whatever reason nobody ever bothered to do it the easy way.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
what do you mean, with a y connector? with a y connector the aileron differential has to be done with your hardware whereas the two channels allow you to do it in the radio.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Bartman;13038 wrote: what do you mean, with a y connector? with a y connector the aileron differential has to be done with your hardware whereas the two channels allow you to do it in the radio.

No your actually mating, or mixing basically, the two channels together. If I had one in front of me I could tell you the steps, but that pesky work keeps getting in the way.