• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

jeti DS 16 thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well after 12 long days I finally got my hands on a Jeti. Initial impressions are DAMN, this thing is nice. Surprisingly comfortable in my hands, it is heavy, heavier than my 12x was for sure. Build quality looks second to none. I was kind of suprised on the yellow color however. I was expecting like a Ducati or Ferrari shade of yellow, it's labeled "Sunburst Yellow" on the website but the box it came in is labeled "Dark Yellow" which is kind of a cub yellow but it looks really nice, I really like it.

I updated the firmware in the TX and the R7 RX, easy no problems. Then I setup my first model, I was a little concerned reading through the manuals that it was going to be complicated, but it was pretty easy. As you guys said once you setup a model it all makes sense and it does.

Due to the weight I may try the neck strap, I've only tried one once before and didn't like it. This felt pretty comfortable so I'm going to give it a try again. If not I'm sure it will be fine to hold it old school style.

So far I like it!
Great that you are writing up your experience with the Jeti. I am at the same cross roads as you were, have a 12x love the radio but would like to move to something that has telemetry and do not know what to buy so I will be following you closely. I am concerned that programming will be somewhat difficult at first. Please keep us posted interested in the radio. Thanks.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Great that you are writing up your experience with the Jeti. I am at the same cross roads as you were, have a 12x love the radio but would like to move to something that has telemetry and do not know what to buy so I will be following you closely. I am concerned that programming will be somewhat difficult at first. Please keep us posted interested in the radio. Thanks.

I went from the 12x to the XG11, and now to the Jeti. So far I'm happy with the choice. Programming while initially looking overly complicated when just reading the manuals turns out to be not too bad. Menus are obviously arranged differently and functions have different names but JR is way behind the curve when it comes to programming capabilities. I'm really happy with the build quality. It's actually more comfortable in my hands than the 12x was. The weight is a non-issue for me I don't notice it when flying. Expo is a little different, you need more on the Jeti to get the same feel as JR. It was pretty nice setting up the plane and plugging the servos in wherever they lined up on the receiver and then just go into Servo assignment and move them to the correct ports. Really like that feature. Any other comparisons you're interested in vs JR let me know. I'll be setting up my 35% with the CB 200 next.

One more thing I'll mention, when you look at the Jeti devices online the pics are a little deceiving IMO. So the CB200 is basically their power safe reciever. In the pics to me it looks like a big piece of equipment but really it's about the size of a power safe reciever. The 3channel rx's it uses for satellites are barely bigger than a Spektrum satellite. I was really happy about that when it showed up at my door.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I went from the 12x to the XG11, and now to the Jeti. So far I'm happy with the choice. Programming while initially looking overly complicated when just reading the manuals turns out to be not too bad. Menus are obviously arranged differently and functions have different names but JR is way behind the curve when it comes to programming capabilities. I'm really happy with the build quality. It's actually more comfortable in my hands than the 12x was. The weight is a non-issue for me I don't notice it when flying. Expo is a little different, you need more on the Jeti to get the same feel as JR. It was pretty nice setting up the plane and plugging the servos in wherever they lined up on the receiver and then just go into Servo assignment and move them to the correct ports. Really like that feature. Any other comparisons you're interested in vs JR let me know. I'll be setting up my 35% with the CB 200 next.

One more thing I'll mention, when you look at the Jeti devices online the pics are a little deceiving IMO. So the CB200 is basically their power safe reciever. In the pics to me it looks like a big piece of equipment but really it's about the size of a power safe reciever. The 3channel rx's it uses for satellites are barely bigger than a Spektrum satellite. I was really happy about that when it showed up at my door.
Thanks for reply when you do the 35% plane can you do a small how it would be appreciated

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Have agree with you run both IBEC and the PB SparkSwitch and I do prefer the SparkSwitch it is better unit and cleaner signals.

Just wanted to share an experience I had the with Sparkswitch. I had it set up on a locking switch, so you only had to flip the switch once to turn ignition on and off. It worked ok for a while, but then I had several instances where I would turn the switch off and the ignition would stay on. This only happened on one unit (I replaced with Tech Aero iBEC). I have a second unit on another plane installed and working with no issues.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Just for fun, added a Vario2 to my 105" Laser and flew the Sportsman Sequence.....1200 ft!

I would have never guessed. Orthobird told me we were high!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just wanted to share an experience I had the with Sparkswitch. I had it set up on a locking switch, so you only had to flip the switch once to turn ignition on and off. It worked ok for a while, but then I had several instances where I would turn the switch off and the ignition would stay on. This only happened on one unit (I replaced with Tech Aero iBEC). I have a second unit on another plane installed and working with no issues.
I am sure there are always units that fail, it is impossible to be perfect. I use both and both work well. All that was started is that between the two units on a scope the SW was cleaner than the Bec but I can not tell you that the difference could cause problems. I do not know the threshold of interference is.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
I did not show any issues with strength or Quality with either one using my logs. So, I suspect they both are good on that front. I agree it could have been an isolated issue and I am using a 6.6V version Sparkswitch on my Aeroworks 100CC Extra and have had no issues.

Hi guys, I am looking at joining you guys and changing/using JETI...they seem to be very well built and so far I haven't had anyone contradict that...so I am looking at this thread to gain info...thanks all...one note they are very expensive DOWNUNDER...but I really think they will give me an extra feeling of security..of build and manufacturing standards

TonyHallo

150cc
I was at a fly in last week.. My casual observation was that it seemed the most expensive aircraft were controlled by Jeti radio. I on the other hand is using FrSky!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
New person has joined our club. He flys with the PB Core system. Been looking over shoulder and watching him do his thing and asking a few questions about the radio. All I can say i am impressed, like the look of the radio and the feel. programming Wise it will do anything you can think off. If I need a second radio it would be one I would take a long look at.