• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How to dye epoxy??

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have used micro balloons (white) mixed with epoxy, and died with coloring I bought from the hardware store (in Hawaii, all hardware stores ha surf repair supplies).
The white micro balloons are a good base for the epoxy dye to bond to.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
pastel chalk will likely be too light in color compared to the red covering. the article from West Systems was very helpful but I may just seal it and then paint it...heading into the shop to take care of it now.

Bart

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I have used Testors model paint with good results. It was some I had around since the 90's , so I don't know if it's the same formula now.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I was going to go about ordering some gel coat coloring materials but after reading the article by West Systems in post #10 I thought it probably doesn't really matter what I use so I prepped everything and mixed up a small batch of epoxy to test with. I just happened to have a brandy new red Bic pen and put a few drops of the ink into my epoxy. That ink is powerful stuff! A couple of drops made the epoxy a deep red.

I think the results are pretty good, take a look, they're posted in the build thread for the plane I'm working on.

http://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/pau-27-pitts-challenger-build-review.1259/page-5#post-41047

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Have had good success with the tubes of thick/paste oil based paints.

Small amounts go a long way mixed with epoxy or other types of resins...

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
I was going to go about ordering some gel coat coloring materials but after reading the article by West Systems in post #10 I thought it probably doesn't really matter what I use so I prepped everything and mixed up a small batch of epoxy to test with. I just happened to have a brandy new red Bic pen and put a few drops of the ink into my epoxy. That ink is powerful stuff! A couple of drops made the epoxy a deep red.

I think the results are pretty good, take a look, they're posted in the build thread for the plane I'm working on.

http://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/pau-27-pitts-challenger-build-review.1259/page-5#post-41047
That's why you mix a single drop at a time. Sometimes using a toothpick can help get it just right.

Phillip Koury

New to GSN!
I have used Testors enamel paints before in 30 minute epoxy. You need the epoxy to be fully mixed before adding the paint and only add enough to get the color match. Test it on some scrap and see what happens. I did not use the epoxy paint mix for a structural glue joint just to fill the joint line on an ARF.