• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hostetler Cessna 336 Skymaster

Patto

70cc twin V2
This weekend I found a little time, so I installed the front throttle and choke servos in addition to the new engine standoffs.

I then went to work with the sanding drum and shaped out the windows a bit. Why I was putting that off, I don't know, but having them shaped really improves what I have to look at as this project progresses. I cut out the windshield side pieces and glued them into place. Another thing I was wondering how I would do, but it was easy. Being a first-time plan builder, everything seems like such a challenge until I try it out and it gets done.

I also finished with the rest of the sheeting on the fuselage. I had left a portion of the nose unfinished so that I could see better what was happening with the linkages for the front engine. With all of that working and the nosewheel control installed, I figured I may as well close it up.

I'm pondering cutting out a door. It seems like it would allow me better access to the inside after I finish the top of the fuse. It also seems like it would be a HUGE amount of work, but really all it would entail would be making a template from the plans, transferring it to the plane, cutting it out, and then eventually installing some hinges and a latch... I'll probably end up doing it at some point in the near future.

For now, here is where I'm at. Both of the engines are installed and linkages hooked up. Programming in the new 18sz is different than I'm used to, but I'm learning new things all the time. Lots of sanding and smoothing to be done to make it ready for glassing, but it's coming along.

Thanks to anyone who is still reading this! Sorry for the slow progress. It will pick up a little now that the rainy season is here. Of course, the shed I have to build in the backyard will get in the way in the next few weeks... =/
IMG_20151108_113228191.jpg

Patto

70cc twin V2
There's a guy over on RCSB that designed and built a set of retracts for this size 337. He has a YouTube video of it working and it's pretty dang impressive. I can get you a link to that video if you'd like.

Patto

70cc twin V2
One significant flaw I'm seeing in this design is the lack of reinforcement in key areas, such as the landing gear plate and the former that holds the wing to the fuselage. For the latter, the kit from National Balsa makes it worse because there is a seam in the top of the fuse at this key area.

My solution was to use some epoxy and carbon fiber sheets to attach the thick ply former to the fuse sides and to line the seam where the fuse side pieces meet. I used parchment paper to work the epoxy into the carbon fiber and get ride of the air pockets.

And so, now that I am done with the servo installation inside the fuselage, I figured I would construct the roof of the cabin in front of the wing.

IMG_20151113_205658781.jpg

Patto

70cc twin V2
The roof of the cabin and the wing saddles are now completed, (saddles completed after this picture was taken). I was concerned about the slant angle of the roof. However, all the measurements are spot on. If it looks wrong when the wing is on there, I'll re-do it.

I'm debating whether or not I will be cutting out a door to have access to the inside of the fuse when the wing center section is attached. It would be nice to hide switches inside the fuse and access them via an operable door. However, given how little support there is for such a heavy airplane, I'm concerned that a couple of G's would rip the wing right off the plane. Cutting out a door will mean taking away some of the plywood fuselage sides. If you look at the inside in the previous picture, the ply sides are all that is holding the rest of the fuselage to the wings where they will pin into the vertical plate.

I could reinforce what is left of the ply sides after cutting out the door with carbon fiber and epoxy. I'll be pondering this one for a bit I think. I may move onto the center section and let this issue lie for now.

m_IMG_20151114_113258837_HDR.jpg