• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hostetler Cessna 336 Skymaster

Patto

70cc twin V2
Keep pecking away at it and it will be flying before you know it.

This weekend is Monster Fest 2017 in Eugene.

I'm a little sad because I had hoped to have the Skymaster done for this event. It will have to be next year. It's my own fault because I did not put the time into this project when I had the chance.

Hoping to have it done while the weather is still nice. But, if not, next year it will be at multiple events.

mlgclg

New to GSN!
Looking good, I'm getting closer on mine my next purchase will be the gear so I can get the rest of the bottom finished

Attachments

• 0813171654.jpg
    0813171654.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 655
  • 0813171654a.jpg
    0813171654a.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 682

Patto

70cc twin V2
Looking good, I'm getting closer on mine my next purchase will be the gear so I can get the rest of the bottom finished

Looking great!!! I really like seeing other people building the same plane!!!

I got the gear from Abel Hobby, I think. It's pretty good, but not perfect. You could probably make your own out of aluminum if you have the know-how/skill to do so. I do not, so I'm okay paying for it.

Guys, I've made very little progress other than priming everything and feeling a little sad about how much filler I'm going to need.

The flying season has been in full swing, and I helped to put on an event at my local field in addition to taking my kiddo to a couple events. He's a 3D monster at age 11, and I'm doing everything I can to nurture that skill and interest! So, just as soon as I get some time, this airplane will be finished!!!

Ross

New to GSN!
Patto. Thanks for your detailed build log, I have had the Skymaster plans and the fiberglass "bits" here for a while, but you have convinced me to start building, Your photos are helping a lot.
This will be the third Hostetler plane I have built, a Pawnee, an RV4 ( which is at the sanding and painting stage, neither tasks are my favorites) and now the Skymaster.
A couple of questions, what size fuel tanks have you used, where did you place the tanks, and the filling tubes?.
And what are your impressions of the EME motors, as like you I would prefer to use the electric start.

Keep up the good work and best wishes
Ross

Patto

70cc twin V2
Hi Ross, glad I am not the only one with good taste in twin airplane designs! I have not been able to test run the engines on this plane yet. I am going to be going with a couple of 16oz fuel tanks. They are going to be mounted in the cabin area under the wing. I have two other eme engines on other airplanes, and so far they seem to run pretty dang well.

Like you, I absolutely despise the sanding and finishing phase. On my next build it will be a lot easier since I now have the experience of fiberglassing with this aircraft under my belt.

Please feel free to hijack this thread and post pictures of your progress!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Patto. Thanks for your detailed build log, I have had the Skymaster plans and the fiberglass "bits" here for a while, but you have convinced me to start building, Your photos are helping a lot.
This will be the third Hostetler plane I have built, a Pawnee, an RV4 ( which is at the sanding and painting stage, neither tasks are my favorites) and now the Skymaster.
A couple of questions, what size fuel tanks have you used, where did you place the tanks, and the filling tubes?.
And what are your impressions of the EME motors, as like you I would prefer to use the electric start.

Keep up the good work and best wishes
Ross
BUILD THREAD!!!

Ross

New to GSN!
I will try and upload photos , but they will only be ones in areas Patto has not shown. His photos have been a great help.
I have put the fuselage together, and glued on the 2 formers for the motors. While they are gluing and and the undercarriage piece is gluing, I have moved onto the wing center section.
A problem though Precision kit cutters made all the W1 wing ribs the same, not quite to the wing shape, but more importantly all have the cut for the flaps, which are not needed in the center section, so I have had to make a replacement lot of W1 wing ribs. I also see I am missing the 1/4inch plugs for the outer wing panels, but the will be easy to cut out of 1/4inch basswood, which our local hardware shop has in stock (from Midwest).
I have ordered the undercarriage items, and the 2 motors, so will be able to continue fitting and checking everything on the fuz when they arrive.
But today was very windy so a pleasant day slope soaring, not much building.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I will try and upload photos , but they will only be ones in areas Patto has not shown. His photos have been a great help.
I have put the fuselage together, and glued on the 2 formers for the motors. While they are gluing and and the undercarriage piece is gluing, I have moved onto the wing center section.
A problem though Precision kit cutters made all the W1 wing ribs the same, not quite to the wing shape, but more importantly all have the cut for the flaps, which are not needed in the center section, so I have had to make a replacement lot of W1 wing ribs. I also see I am missing the 1/4inch plugs for the outer wing panels, but the will be easy to cut out of 1/4inch basswood, which our local hardware shop has in stock (from Midwest).
I have ordered the undercarriage items, and the 2 motors, so will be able to continue fitting and checking everything on the fuz when they arrive.
But today was very windy so a pleasant day slope soaring, not much building.
A little progress is better than no progress. At least that is what I keep telling myself. LOL

Patto

70cc twin V2
My buddy, Frank, is helping me work on finishing. He has decades of experience and is gracious enough to show me some of what he knows.