• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hostetler Cessna 336 Skymaster

Patto

70cc twin V2
I'm going to take the plunge and build a big twin, the Cessna Skymaster. I'm working on finalizing the order, (more details to follow) for the plans, wood, and other parts. My son, Oliver, who is 9 years old, is going to help me with the build and eventually the flying.

Why the Skymaster? Well, we just like the way it looks, and also the unique sound of the push/pull twin. Also, if you lose one engine, no need to sweat it since they are both inline.

My hope is for the plane to be finished by the Fall. We took a long, long time to decide on which plane to build. Now, we have to decide on the other details, such as engines, paint scheme, etc.

I'm getting ready to place an order from Tower for glues, T-pins, X-acto blades, and other stuff. I'm re-surfacing my building bench with a fresh sheet of drywall, (good for sticking pins into).

We might, MIGHT, go with a couple of those EME 55's with the electric starters attached. That is about the right amount of power, from what I've read, for one of these taking off a grass runway.

Wish us luck... we'll need it...

Reactions: Gid

Patto

70cc twin V2
Thank you. Currently waiting on a call from Precision Cut Kits. I originally contacted Kitcutters, but they said they are not currently cutting any kits.

Patto

70cc twin V2
I'm going with the fixed gear 336 over the 337, which would require a complicated retract setup. Since this is my first build of this type, I thought I'd keep it somewhat simple and relatively inexpensive.

Patto

70cc twin V2
I placed the order with Precision Cut Kits. They said it will take 5-6 weeks for delivery. I was hoping for much sooner, but perhaps that is the standard.

I ordered the plans from Wendell Hostetler's website. They said they'd ship them the next day.

I sent emails out to source the landing gear but have not received any responses yet.

There is a scale nose gear available that costs $270, but I am hoping for a lower cost solution. I'm open to ideas.

Carat_landing_gear__11.JPGCarat_landing_gear__10.JPGCessna 337 homebuilt retracts.jpg

I'm going to try to build this gear in mine... i have the plans and the cut kit.. just had a 30 X 40 shop built and have to get it finished before i can start building..

Last edited by a moderator: