• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hi!

D

Dead-Stick-Jake

What's up, guys.
I was invited here from FG. I never felt "at home" on FG and RCG bores me to death. So I hope I can contribute to this forum.

I've been building sense I was in 3rd grade. Free flights back then and rockets.
RC cars and boats shorty after but something was always missing.
Then I seen a sign for free airplane rides when I was in 5th grade. My grandpa took me to the airport and I just felt at home. Before I even got in an airplane I knew what I'd be doing with my life. Flying and sharing that love with anyone and everyone.

I got my start in RC shortly after when I saved for a powered glider.
I learned from that, then got hooked on GWS foamies. I had them all and still have 7 slow sticks :p
Trying to keep a long story short, I've flown it all. I'm not bragging I've just been blessed to find a club fairly early and those guys put me behind the sticks of everything.
I started building to fund my hobby through middle school and high school.
I went to a university for pro piloting but realized the stick and rudder and magic was no longer a part of professional aviation so I switched my major to airport management.
I am now perusing my A&P certificates because after managing an airport for nearly 3 years I don't like that much either. Hands on an airplane is what I'm supposed to be doing.

I've flown gliders of all kinds, electric, nitro, gas, turbine. I've done it all and after 16 years of flying RC, 3D is the only thing that keeps me in it. I still take a trainer out and practice the basics as well as thermal my remaining gliders when I need to chill out, but mostly its about the down and dirty hucking.

And because of that I've found that profiles are where its at but I still fly fatties too.
Yes, I'm a Probro. Those crazy mofos are what keeps me going but I really enjoy the size and inertia of fatties.

In the "fatty" gasser world I've had

1 150cc
3 100cc
6-8 50cc
2 30cc
2 20cc

Right now I only have an EF 50cc edge but because of its awsomeness I haven't been in a hurry to get another 100cc.
I'd like to have both but I just can't deside between another edge (probably a PAU) or an extra, which I haven't had in a long time.

If you'd like to check out what sloppy abilities I've built over the last decade and a half my YouTube is "Thatairplaneguy"

I guess I should so explain my handle.
When I first started into nitro all I could afford was used super tigers. They'd always die and I soon became expert at landing dead stick and rolling upto my toes.
Its just kinds became a habit ever sense. I feel a slight sense of failure if I don't land dead stick LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Jake, good to know a little more about you...be sure to visit our "you know you are addicted to r/c when.." thread! ;)
We've got some pro bros on this site too, including wrong wayrc (Richard) sho look em up and get some profile conversations going. I've got a 30cc profile from wrongway in my build queue :)

D

Dead-Stick-Jake

Richard has awesome kits. His designs are nice and floaty so of you like floaty than you'll love his.
If your a high energy guy he also carries HazzBro's ExtraExtra kits. 35", 60"(dle20), V2 (30cc) and 50(50cc). Those are the loosest slabs ever made! My dle20 powered ee60 will lomcevoc, KE spin and crankshaft harder than my 88" EF edge!

I'll push slabs on those who havnt tried a real Probro approved slab but we get enough of each other and slab talk on theprofilebrotherhood.com. Check out the madness there.

SnowDog

yep - I've been over there myself...good stuff...another buddy of mine is there (and here) as [MENTION=973]3DNinja[/MENTION] -- Craig - what's up?!

SnowDog

Tell him SnowDog says hi from Crystal Lake...the gang here really misses him.

And ask him how his 51" Slick is flying

D

Dead-Stick-Jake

It probably isn't. The last time I talked to him he only had a couple planes left. He's been fishing a lot.

The next time you talk to him ask him if he's pee'd in any butts lately.