• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help w/40 % !

js-rc

70cc twin V2
I just got a friend's 3 W Patty Wagstaff Extra & need advice with just about everything, Ha !! First off, it has Hitech 5945 MG coreless servos, only 180 in. oz. of torque. It has 3 for rudder, 4 for elevators & 6 for ailerons & some other servo for throttle. I guess that was 9 or 10 yrs. ago they were installed but only made it in the air & the DA-150 quit, busted the landing gear block out a little but am repairing that & it never flew since. Can these servos still fly it ok ? I believe I need a Smart- fly system for it as it has some type of I4c power servo isolator in it now. Appreciate any advice !!
Thanks, John

rab879

30cc
I have the same servo setup in a comp ARF Extra and it flies fine. Not for high energy stuff but in its day, that's what they used. Just make sure you have a good battery source.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Thanks rab79 !! That will let me see how the plane flies at first, though I can't do a whole lot of 3D flying, but I do enjoy trying to hover my other planes, just can't seem to get them down near the ground, ha !! I'll be getting an EQ Smart fly system for it this winter. Probably go with the A-123s also.
Thanks again !!
John

Spats

100cc
This size plane will be easier for you to fly which means you will begin to do more 3D. Those servo's may work fine now but in my opinion will be a risk to use as you fly harder.
Have you run the engine yet? You might need to do some cleaning on it and I would change the fuel line and possibly the tank.

You will get lot's of great help on this forum, good job on inquiring here.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Thanks Spats !! I've read lots of your posts & saw some of your planes, beautiful !!
My plan is just to get it in the air next year & then I'll be replacing the servos . I just bought a very good used DA-150 & mufflers for it & still have a lot of other parts to get. I'm repairing the landing gear area now with new wood from the one bulkhead up to the firewall area or rather the bulkhead that holds the motor mt. on. Their eng. quit when it got in the air & landed rather hard & broke it all out in that area.
Thanks again Spats !!
John

js-rc

70cc twin V2
DSCF2695.JPG
DSCF2696.JPG
Thanks Sweetpea !! I'll be using a Futaba 10-C . The plane has one of those 8 ch. I4C servo isolators in it. Don't know a thing about it though, so I was wondering how to get all the servos in sync so they don't drain the batteries. I don't have the instructions for it either, that's why I thought I'd get the SF . Now without a SF would I have to get a Hitech programmer & program each servo ? I had one once but it was over my head trying to hook it up to the computer & all so I canned that idea, ha !!
Thanks Sweetpea !!